Beginners Guide

Discussion in 'Tutorials, Guides and Help' started by Fuega, Jul 16, 2010.

1. I spent a couple of hours retyping my tables, and they look much better, but I am done editing for the day. :lam:

I also posted it on the Wiki site, but it looks really bad. I will have to spend a couple of hours tomorrow figuring that one out.

Also, I really like Dalas' idea about putting links in the table of contents to each section, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. I would prefer if when you clicked on the link that it would take you down the page rather than opening a new page. Any suggestions? :banghead:

2. Tass

Tass Administrator

What you will probably like is headlines. Those are done like:

===Orientation and sweating - first week===

The number of equal signs determines the size/level of the headlines. So the text above would create a level 3 headline. If you have some headlines a TOC will be created automatically at top of the page.

3. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I edited the page and put in the headlines for you. The Wiki, unfortunately, has yet a different format for tables, so you're not quite done yet. It uses a special way to handle them, and you can get some basic idea of the format by clicking the table button on the editor toolbar.

A lot of the things you refer to in the guide also exist as wiki pages on our own wiki. If you need some help putting those links into place, feel free to let us know :)

4. Dalas

Dalas ANF Master & "Death Limited" Healer

I assume the reason it brings up a new window is because the link could actually be to any page in the thread. So for example if you clicked on a link to a post on page 3, it couldn't just zip down to that, it would have to load page 3 and then find that post. Kind of makes sense?

If you didn't know how to do what I did as an example for you, simply follow these instructions:

1. Right click on the post number of the post you want to link to (e.g. "#22"), found in the top right hand corner of that very post.

2. Choose "Copy link location" in the dropdown menu.

3. Highlight the text you want to make a link out of, for example "[001] - Introduction"

4. Click the icon that looks like the earth with a chain-link, found in the toolbar above the window you type in to post/edit a message. Pro Tip: Just under the smiley face!

5. Either right click in the small text field that now appears and choose "Paste", or simply press Ctrl+V. This will make the text you highlighted ("[001] - Introduction") have what they call a "Hyperlink" to the address you just copied and pasted into this box.

6. Repeat with all titles and posts in an orderly fashion to ensure you link the correct title to the correct post.

I hope that wasn't too patronising and that this was what you wanted Fuega :) and obviously I hope it helps!

5. thank you for all the advice again,

I fixed lots of things here and on the wiki page today,
    and learned quite a bit.
    It is complicated and time consuming changing it to fit new formats.
    I really like the way it looks here better than on EF.

please be patient with me, I ran out of time, and I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

:)

6. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I did one of the tables for you, to make your life a bit easier. If you edit the page, you can see the table format looks like this:

The first line indicates we are creating a table, adds a CSS class (for layout purposes) to it. The sortable means we add sorting functionality to the columns of the table. The cellpadding and border are layout related again.

The line starting with |+ is the title of the table.

|- indicates the start of a new line or row, while |! starts a column header. |- finally, indicates a new column. Every column in the code above is on an individual row, mostly to make it easier on the eyes.

The double square brackets ([[ and ]]) are to indicate a link will be created. Basically, anything in the wiki that has a specific page can be linked to. If you would type [[Calypso Gateway]], it would add a link to Calypso Gateway.

If the page you link to is different than what you want to actually display, that can be done by using the pipe symbol ( | ). I.e. If I want to create a link to the page About_Calypso, but want to call it Planet Calypso instead, the code would be [[About_Calypso|Planet Calypso]].

I basically just linked to all the weapon names. These are slightly speacial, as we created a namespace for them (think of a namespace as a seperate bucket in which they reside). There is an (though perhaps not fully complete) oversight of all available Entropia Universe weapons. The namespace is added by prefixing the link with that. Also, as a sidenote, note that all spaces in wiki-pages are replaced with an underscore.

So the tag [[Weapon:Emik_S30_(L)|Emik S30 (L)]] means we want to make a link to the page Emik_S30_(L), which resides in the Weapons namespace, and we just want to call it Emik S30 (L).

Let me know if this is too confusing still :) I'll gladly explain a bit more clearly if that is the case.

7. Tass

Tass Administrator

Really nice to see the page progressing.

Another hint:

By chance you copied some wiki code on the page. "----" is used for generating horizontal lines. So maybe you want to get rid of that or limit it to "----".

Level 1 and level 2 headlines (=headline= or ==headline==) have a horizontal line attached too. If you want to get rid of it you can change to level 3 headlines (===headline===).

8. Finally finished upgrading the weapons and tools charts on the wiki page. That was a chore.

I rewrote several paragraphs in the Advanced Hunting section to encourage new players to stick to one weapon type after they get a feel for what is available. And added that as a goal.
    Yet I left the argument for players to skill on all SIB weapons too. But to do either efficiently and economically.

Also many small changes, like renumbering of sections and titles.

I am still on vacation, but had several hours with nothing to do :)

9. I just posted my Christmas update.
    It was a huge update that took many hours to write and research over the holidays.
    I am still working on updating the weapons and tools list, since that takes more time due to its format.
    I will post the update to the Wiki version of this next :)
    Thanks -
    Fuega

10. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Hey Fuega,

Guide looks great.

I took a look at the wiki page and did a few tweaks. Nothing special but mostly to show you how stuff can be done a bit different and maybe better.

I changed you list of goals to a bulleted list by putting * in front of every entry and changed your numbered list by putting # in front of every entry.
    I also changer your references to 'real' wiki references. This way they get numbered and will appear automatically at the location you put this: <references/>

hope you don't mind, just a little thing to make your life easier

11. updated again
    now reflects the addition of Genesis and minor tweeks

12. updated the guide and tools chart to reflect the changes in mining and refining

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.