Challenging games

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by Tass, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Tass

Tass Administrator

There are games you can just click away and there are games that are challenging because they are totally skill-based, unforgiving and in general very hard to master. Have you played any?

A developer that made challenging games an art form and philosophic considerations about game design is Bennett Foddy. His latest and by far most successful game is Getting Over It. It's awesome and totally recommended. The first full playthrough video ever uploaded to YouTube happens to be on our channel ;)

Last week another hard game got a PC release. Just Ski is a stylish minimalist skiing game and also recommended.

2. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Love it. Always had a bit of a thing for hard games. Probably due to growing up in the 80's. haha watching the climbing vid - got quite tense watching those slow deliberate then suddenly quick movements.

The ski game reminds me of brexit bus https://advisa.se/en/research/brexit-bus/

3. Tass

Tass Administrator

Well, Getting Over It really was a special experience. It's so tense because the tinist wrong move can cause you going back to start. The further I got into the game the scarier it got. It was on release day without any hints about what to come and how far it would be till the end. Sometimes I had the pause and walk around in the room or doing something else for a couple of minutes to calm down enough to do the next move :)

So I had to try Brexit Bus, fun but not so difficult :) The gameplay is derived from Hill Climb Racing.

4. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

brexitbus02.JPG

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

hehe you guys managed to jump teresa may ok then I see :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tass

Tass Administrator

This one was a little bit challeging too, and really awesome.

7. Tass

Tass Administrator

And this one is crazy stuff: The Textorcist. A pixel art bullet hell action adventure in which you avoid bullets while typing exorcisms. Sounds easy but it's really hard. And it's really funny.

A boss fight recorded by fast typer @DahliaGray :

8. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I got Super Hexagon from a friend at Christmas... I've not played anything so hard since the 80's! (tip, my best score was after I switched to the harder and then the very hard modes, then switched back. It was like bullet time - I didn't have to dodge the bullets any more)

9. Tass

Tass Administrator

I fell in love and she's 16.

16bit graphics I mean.

Driven out is a really challenging game. It's like a very simplified Dark Souls, but it's a 2D sidescroller with a 16bit era look and feel. The game is not out yet but there's a free early demo on Steam. Check it out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.