Clueless about phones.

Discussion in 'Technical, security and bug reports' started by narfi, Feb 27, 2012.

1. narfi

narfi Lost

They just put up a tower behind my house and so I have started looking into getting phones for my wife and I. (and getting rid of the flaky landline)

I live in a remote area so I am limited to just the one provider. And after doing some research discovered that their 'cheap' or 'free' phones offered with 2yr contracts are a rip-off.

Basically for a contract plan with 2 phones to include unlimited calling, text, and 3gig of data would be over 150$ a month.

On the other hand if I supply my own phones I can have unlimited voice, text, data (2g) for 80$ a month for 2 phones, or 100$ a month(3g)

So it would be a lot cheaper for me to buy my own unlocked phones and use them.
    I called their customer service and asked if my research was correct, and they said I just needed to make sure that any phones I bought were CDMA.

So this is where I'm not finding much on my preliminary research.

The top phone they are advertizing with their package deals are the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the HTC Incredible S.

I would assume that if I got these models of phones that they would be compatible since they are what they are primarily using already, but the customer service lady (I have a hard time trusting the intelligence of customer service) told me I still had to make sure.

From what I have read the Galaxy S2 is a really nice phone and would probably like to go with that if possible. (maybe black for me and white for my wife?) But would be nice if any of you have opinions on a better option as well as if it is in fact CDMA compatible.

On amazon they dont mention the network types, so It might be that its assumed the customer knows that type of phone it is already, but I don't know enough to be confidant in that.

Also I see on some of the amazon titles GPS is mentioned for the Galaxy S2 and in some its not, but I dont see it in any of the specs for any of them. Since I am new to phones I am not sure if this is something they all have now, or if its an extra feature added to the base model, or what. (I think having GPS would be nice)

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Unloc..._1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1330373045&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax..._1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1330373045&sr=1-2

www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-SA-I9100-Unlocked-support/dp/B005M3518G/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1330373045&sr=1-4

Thanks for taking the time to help me out :P

narfi

2. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

I myself have an HTC Incredible S and am very happy with it and according to the manufacturers website is has CDMA support:

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-incredible-s/

From what I hear the Samsung phones are very nice as well, so it would probably be up to you to decide the nicest one.

According to wikipedia CDMA is the same as UMTS W-CDMA (UMTS)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W-CDMA_(UMTS)

According to the Samsung website the S2 does have UMTS
    http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

And to be honest I would not understand it if any phone these days was not able to be used on any network

Both phones have GPS (see specs in the links).

Not sure what you are gonna do with the internet on your phone, but I use about 250Mb a month max. but when I'm at home I use the wifi network, so not sure what situation you have there. I would however always go for the 3g connection, because that just works a lot faster and is more fun to use.

I did the same as you, I bought my phone without a simlock (and not from one of the providers shops, but an independent shop) and just got a very cheap contract.

I hardly ever make a call, so I just have about 100 minutes/sms a month and unlimited (well fare use they call it) 3g internet for about 20 euro a month here in Holland.

3. narfi

narfi Lost

Id probably get me the s2 and my wife the incredible S but I read alot of horror stories about them getting stuck in a reboot loop.

I am guessing you haven't had any issue with this on yours? Is it something to be concerned about at all, or is it just a very rare horror story?

thanks,

narfi

4. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Master Of Entropia

Most phones so far are android 2,3 OS.
    see Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
    Adroid 4.0, NFC, ACCELEROMETER, GYRO, COMPASS, PROXIMITY/LIGHT, BAROMETER...
    most unlocked phone I think.
    weak point is probably the batery so buy charger for the car :)
    http://www.google.com/nexus/
    At least this is what I'm going to buy after all CLDs are sold :biggrin:

5. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

If we hadn't recently gotten iPhone 4s, I probably would have looked into one of the new Windows phones. I read a few really positive reviews on the Windows OS running on them (from some technical sites, some of which claimed that Windows 8 just might be the answer of MS to Apple's iPhones), and being an MS kid anyway, that certainly would be something I'd not mind checking out.

I'm completely unhindered by any knowledge of how they are in the US market, though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Any smart phone in the last 4 years, even the iphones, use both services.. it's just they ask it to be CDMA as most used phones are locked by one carrier or the other. So to be sure they just want you to be sure that the ones you get are unlocked to use CDMA. You can get them unlocked if the original owner calls up the carrier and asks. Did this with my wifes phone as she upgraded to the 4s and I took over her 3g.. We use different cell providers so I had to get it unlocked to use it with mine.. Now I can use it on any carrier! :biggrin:

Other then that it is down to preference. A good Android phone, like the ones already suggested, would work for you. :thumbsup:

Gl on your purchase.. just remember to check if it is unlocked and if not that it is unlocked for CDMA.. :beerchug:

7. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Yes this would be one of my picks as well. Heard so many excellent reviews on this phone and OS.. Not only that, even die hard android users who have had the chance to try win8 are raving and ready to switch when it comes out.

8. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Narfi, none of that with my Incredible S so far

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.