Do you believe violent video games are to blame for inciting mass murderers, as some researchers say

Discussion in 'The Black Hole' started by Tass, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Tass

Tass Administrator

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

lol. Kentucky, which is the only state sporting a yes, has exactly 1 vote. One Billy Bob ruined it for the rest of the state!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Pretty sure Assad is not playing any video games and if he is there is no video game where you gas innocent women and children to my knowledge. So no, I don't think video games are to blame for for the mass murders we have seen recently.

4. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Yes as this game I know *cough* EU *cough* effects me to the point where I just want to send a few fuckers, that can't fucking drive, to the revive terminal, just so I can loot them again and again and again................... And I'm not even a pirate in the game!! :sneaky:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. I don't believe they are. Wasn't there a Billy Bob in a Bond movie who was related to the US cop J.W Pepper.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  6. MindStar9

MindStar9 Floating in Space

That is really a loaded question, but from my professional perspective, a person is already in a state of dysfunction prior to committing any acts of violence. If they are involved in something (be it a video game or otherwise that feeds a need, no matter how basic or bizarre a need is), there is potential to reach a point of no return where a person doesn't see their acts as violence, but a necessity.

Just like rape isn't about sex, it's about power and control. Someone could already be hanging onto their last thread and incredibly driven, or it could be distorted thinking, or displaced anger provoked by some unnerving emotional experience that doesn't take much to push them over the edge.

Whatever the case, the variables are many, and there's a pathology present in some that may take a bit to trigger, and much easier to trigger in others. It's also not easy for non-professionals to read the behavioral patterns that fit specific profiles, such as that of a serial killer (no remorse, easy to commit violence without emotion, other signs), or those who would commit atrocities such as what we've seen.

For as long as I've lived on this planet (which is a pretty long time), I've seen a specific degradation in our social environment that is quite disturbing, and I unfortunately don't see it changing, but in fact getting worse if we don't start educating more (parents in particular). Weapons don't commit acts of violence, people commit them and use weapons as a means to do so. There should be a greater focus on mental health issues, and further educating in that area as well with other professionals outside of the field.

Sometime ago, a national US survey was done regarding children watching cartoons for just one hour every Saturday morning, and found that after one year, they would have witnessed over 10,000 acts of violence. Again, I think a person has to have a certain pathology in order for these types of things to affect them to the point of becoming violent and committing crimes, or becoming more aggressive, just as I think a rational person (considered "normal" by social standards) can be driven to their limit of tolerance and turn their emotional upset inwards and hurt themselves, even committing suicide, which we have all heard about, especially with teens and the results of bullying (another hot topic, but relates).

Remember when Mutant Ninja Turtles came out? There were children everywhere trying to emulate their moves, and many of them ended up in hospitals with broken bones and hurting other children in the process, so there is evidence that children (at least) are highly susceptible to this type of viewing or interaction, but I've also seen interviews with young (incarcerated) adults who have admitted playing video games so much that it was difficult to distinguish real from fantasy. Again, remember that in these cases, there are generally far more variables involved instead of just one.

I'm trying to find an article on a recent incident where a child had access to a weapon and intentionally shot a parent because they were watching a video game or something where they learned that they would win a prize for a certain number of kills (I believe, not entirely certain). It wasn't that long ago, so I'll continue looking for it, because it's a perfect example of how a video game or other things might influence someone's behavior, and in this case, it was a very young child. Children aren't normally able to distinguish between real and fantasy until they're about 6 or 7, or make rational decisions, which is why some advertisers market certain ads on children's shows, so that they can bug their parents about it. There's also a madness in marketing. :biggrin:

This type of topic is a sensitive topic with varying opinions, but in my line of work, I've witnessed first-hand what it has done to a few who were already living in a dysfunctional family environment, and family status (rich or poor) had nothing to do with it. I worked a great deal with adolescents, and we are seeing more and more how this particular age group is acting out. And again ... the variables that trigger this type of behavior are many, it's not just one single thing.

Each cultural environment, including their leaders, are not exempt from pathological acts of violence, whether directly or indirectly, and I think we've seen enough of that in our time to know it's just not one thing that sets a person or group off.

I could write a Thesis or Dissertation on this, but I'll spare you. We can joke about it (I have too, despite my professional involvements), but I think I'm safe in saying that perhaps we can all agree to some degree that it's not just one thing that causes chaos such as what we have witnessed, but violent video games can definitely add to the equation that pulls the trigger.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. No there were plenty of mass murders and serial killers long before video games, TV, and everything else so called "do gooders" want to use as a scapegoat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Hi,

in my opinion it's just history repeating. There has always been something that was declared "the source of all evil" by the respective parents generation:
    • Back in the good old days of our great-grandparents it was things like going to the fairground, dancing, and reading books, instead of praying in the church & working hard all day long, that spoiled the youth, and made them do evil things.
      The parents generation was very sure about it, and often lamented about the general decline in politeness, and the abasement of morality. This was the beginning of the end, for sure.
    • It was a bit different for our grandparents (the ones who got "degenerated" by these new bad things in the paragraph above).
      Now it was things like going to the cinema, talking about politics, and hearing radio, instead of praying in the church & working hard all day long, that spoiled the youth, and made them do evil things.
      The new parents generation was very sure about it, and often lamented about the general decline in politeness, and the abasement of morality. This was the beginning of the end, for sure.
    • It was even more different for our parents (again, the ones from above).
      Now it was things like going to the cinema (still), hearing Jazz, Bebop and Elvis Presley, and driving motorcycles and scooters, instead of praying in the church & working hard all day long, that spoiled the youth, and made them do evil things.
      The new parents generation was very sure about it, and often lamented about the general decline in politeness, and the abasement of morality. This was the beginning of the end, for sure.
    • Now, when I was young (long ago ...), it was things like going to the demos, hearing devilish rock music, and talking about politics (again), instead of praying in the church & working hard all day long, that spoiled the youth (= me), and made them do evil things.
      My parents generation was very sure about it, and often lamented about the general decline in politeness, and the abasement of morality. This was the beginning of the end, for sure.
    • Today, it is things like playing those dreaded video games, hearing devilish Techno music, and using social media, instead of praying in the church & working hard all day long, that spoiles the youth (= you), and make them do evil things.
      My generation is very sure about it, and often laments about the general decline in politeness, and the abasement of morality. This is the beginning of the end, for sure. We know.

You see, history is repeating. Prepare to add a new chapter soon (dependent of your age), you too will find the source of all evil in the world in what your kids do other than you did, once. It was ever this way, and will ever be this way. Each parents generation is completely sure that their way is the right one, and that any change that they recognize in their children's behavior is evil, and inevitably leads to the complete abasement of morality.

What I (member of todays parents generation) see as dangerous is the way the media have evolved. Too much power in the hands of commercially interested groups, less and less investigative journalism, more and more hardly cloaked propaganda (FoxNews etc.). More and more carefully crafted dumbification in the TV, more and more censorship and surveillance.
    This is the beginning of the end, for sure. I know. But this might be just my personal reality distortion field ...

Back to topic:
    Video games as an incitement to violence? Ridiculous.

Watching TV for just one evening shows me ways more violence, in technicolor, HD, with slow motion for every bloody detail, than any video game could ever do ...
    Our children are out there all over the world, armed to the teeth, to bring our lifestyle and our values to those retarded natives (too often with just blowing them up), we're paying designated scoundrels to do our (or our industry's) bidding, and can watch the horrible bloody results in the daily evening TV news, or on youtube.

Video games as an incitement to violence? Ridiculous. There's more already.

Btw., it's old, I know, but nearly every single gunman has been eating bread in the 24h before his crime. It's time to ban bread now, right?

Have a good time!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Hmm I would have pegged you for a young 21. :wink:

The old saying, I am evil because I do bad things, I do bad things because I am evil. :sneaky:

10. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

suck up !!

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Lol who me?!?! Never. :whistling:

12. narfi

narfi Lost

wouldnt 14+ ish be considered 'today's parents generation' ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I played a few hours o GTA V and have not killed anyone yet.

GRAND THEFT AUTO FIVE MAKES PUSSIES OUT OF MEN!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hmm... looking at the poll today:
    Do you believe violent video games are to blame for inciting mass murderers, as some researchers say?
    2%Yes
    97%No
    1%Not sure
    ( 435588 votes )

interestingly, no votes at all from South Dakota, Montana, or Vermont? Nice to know that there's at least 3 states that don't give a damn about Faux news. :beerchug:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. What the fuck, no games are not to blame and who or why would any one think that this has got me really pissed off right now, the twats ort to fuck off.

What about Hollywood films are they to blame or what nobody seems to be asking that question wonder why.

Games have a age rating for a reason so don't blame the kids blame the mothers and fathers.

16. Kitty

Kitty Catnip is my kryptonite!

I know I'm a month late to the party but just so's ya'll know.......'pussies' are quite strong, I believe the words you were looking for was 'ball sacks'. They are obviously the weaker of the two. Now, don't make me punch you there. :cautious:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

The alternative would have been a ground war, where US troops would be deployed to Japanese territories. Considering the Japanese had been informed the US soldiers would eat their babies (or something along those lines), the Japanese were thought to fight to the death rather than surrendering, which would have led to a long drawn-out ground war with millions of casualties on either side.

The estimates for Japanese civilians apparently were far higher than the ones when using the A-bomb, and so that was determined to be the more "humane" choice.

Make no mistake, during the war atrocities were committed by all sides. Germany bombed non-military targets (Rotterdam, London, among others), and the allies did the exact same thing. The idea was to terrorize the civilian population to such extents that they would demand their governments to surrender.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.