EntropiaPlanets 2021/2022 Updates

Discussion in 'About EntropiaPlanets' started by Tass, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Tass

Tass Administrator

Hi!

We'll fix a couple of things, we'll update a couple of things and we'll change a couple of things :)

11 Nov 2021

We'll be slow but we've started already:
    • problems with the login overlay have been fixed
    • new registrations will be processed properly again
    • Twitter widget on frontpage removed because we don't tweet anything currently
    • login option with Google removed because obviously nobody was using it (Twitter & Facebook might be removed too)
    • social sharing options removed because all they do is collecting data
    • ads at bottom of the page removed because nobody ever clicked them
    • tiny performance improvements
    • Streams tab with Twitch live streams removed (we'll add something better soon)
    More soon :)

If you have suggestions please let us know.

22 Nov 2021
    • upgraded to last XenForo 1 version, next step will be XenForo 2
    23 Nov 2021
    • upgraded frontpage capabilities
    • reorganized incoming feeds
    29 Nov 2021
    • more feeds stuff
    30 Nov 2021
    • media gallery back in a basic form (don't look at it)
    • many images in old threads fixed
    • tiny performance improvements
    1 Dec 2021
    • new slider
    • frontpage rearrangement
    3 Dec 2021
    • frontpage changes
    • wiki menu temporary fix
    14 Dec 2021
    • fixed broken link structure
    16 Dec
    • introduction of Discord widget
    21 Dec
    3 Jan 2022
    • very minor wiki improvements
    13 Feb 2022
    14 Feb 2022
    15 Feb 2022
    • EntropiaTimes pdfs restored

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I'm very new to EU so good to see a well maintained forum.

3. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

hahaaha you literally just showed up after a long period of light on no one home : )

But anyway welcome to "the cancer forum" as I heard we are being called these days over on the elsewhere - would link but all that stuff got deleted already (in short I asked something about halloween gifts and a bunch of folks started laying into @McCormick randomly ;) - in some ways I felt amusingly complemented. "It's Wistrel! She's friends with McCormick! Attack with everything you've got! XD XD XD"

Anyhow I've been chatting to Internut a bit on the other forum and seems a good bean who's new to the game. So all say hi :D

4. Yer, I'm on the PCF one as well, I suppose that's obvious ;) I came over here because it can get a bit 'toxic' there sometimes.

5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

but... but... this is the Cancer forum :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Seems ok, not so many here as over there, but seems friendlier karma.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Tass

Tass Administrator

It's a long story how we became the "cancer" forum and PCF the greatest of forums, too long for forum post.

But key to that story is the fact that PCF is heavily censoring specific opinions. On EntropiaPlanets we don't do that. That led to the phenomenon that many people voiced harsh criticism of MindArk and Entropia Universe here on EntropiaPlanets but kept the rest of their forum communication on PCF. That ruined the experience on EntropiaPlanets for the fan people and led to avoidance of EntropiaPlanets. We just couldn't get ourself to censor people's opinions just to have more "success" with the forum.

Our success on EntropiaPlanets is:
    • EntropiaPlanets is free while the other forum's overpriced setup and administration is paid for by players
    • EntropiaPlanets is run by decent people, the other forum by a notorious liar found guilty of internet crimes
    • EntropiaPlanets is state of the art in forum tech and features, the other isn't
    • EntropiaPlanets has editorial content like player and developer interviews while the other doesn't
    • EntropiaPlanets has an integrated wiki while the other doesn't
    • EntropiaPlanets published a high quality Entropia Universe print magazine, the other doesn't
    • EntropiaPlanets managed a multi-streamer Twitch channel starting in 2013 but the EU community back then wasn't ready for Twitch
    • EntropiaPlanets started the first Entropia Universe Discord with a lot of cool features in early 2015 but the EU community back then wasn't ready for Discord
    • EntropiaPlanets managed a society and program for onboarding new players, the other doesn't
    • EntropiaPlanets is co-running a 25k subs YT channel also hosting Entropia Universe videos, the other doesn't
    • EntropiaPlanets was co-running a 11k followers partnered Twitch channel also for Entropia Universe streams, the other doesn't
    • EntropiaPlanets is saving abandoned community projects with a lot of effort, the other doesn't
    • EntropiaPlanets rescued and then maintained the official Next Island forum, the other didn't
    • EntropiaPlanets in not at all about competing with other forums, in fact we provide content to planet partner forums for free and support them, the other forum doesn't do that and has a very competitive approach
    • and probably some stuff I forgot
    • EDIT: indeed forgot one and it's a very important one: the content we produce is given to the general public under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, the other forum claims they own all user content
    And we have begun to take a couple of steps preparing the next phase for EntropiaPlanets, which will make it better than it ever has before. A little bit more support from the community it's made for would be nice, and little bit more support from the company whose community it's catering to would be nice too.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Got a question about this one.... and you can guess what it is... who runs the NI forum now? I can't remenber what the URL was now but I note www.nextislandforum.com is a chinese placeholder page and the new nextisland website has a forum at Next Island which doesn't seem to be something I can log into... so guessing it isn't the same forum or my account would have been maintained.

Interesting times...

9. Tass

Tass Administrator

The original Next Island forum was at NextIslandLife.com but became defunct. So EntropiaPlanets created NextIslandForum.com as an alternative. Next Island liked it and made NextIslandForum the official forum. We've imported from NextIslandLife what wasn't too broken. Next Island shut down development and abandoned NextIslandForum too. We kept it running for a couple of years and then imported it into EntropiaPlanets with the permission of the owner of Next Island. There wasn't really any use for the domain anymore so it wasn't renewed. All NextIslandForum content is fully integrated here but can be easily recognized by its tag: http://www.entropiaplanets.com/tags/nextislandforum/

10. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Great stuff. Of course the end of the story is that NI has apparently been taken over and is under development again by persons unknown (or BIG Industries if you look at @McCormicks ' BIG picture diagram). The website was given an uplift and www.nextisland.com and there is a forum at Next Island which uses the Discourse software.

They have an amusingly chatty bot there that teaches you how to use the forum when you sign up. It did seem rather flashy but I'm not sure I liked it... it seemed a little too far from what I'm used to. Still, rather amused I got a certificate for having a chat with the bot and working through the tutorial. Still,... I've staked my claim now. Profile - Wistrel - Next Island

NIforumbot.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Tass

Tass Administrator

12. Liu

Liu

Hi !

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

14. Tass

Tass Administrator

Frontpage. Looks cheesy, huh?

15. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

I like the front page now. Also the links work on it now :)

16. In your NI profile page it looks like you're on top of that sky high building in PA overlooking the islands south of there. How did you get up there? Tried landing on there a few weeks ago but didn't quite work.

17. Front page looks good to me, but slight prob I'm having is with the slideshow images at the top which is that the links seem not to work. Could be an Opera issue...

18. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

[​IMG]

This pic... hmm yes I think you are right. I was taken some time back so maybe something changed? Could be they added a vehicle exclusion zone or something... if so, that's a shame.

19. Tass

Tass Administrator

EntropiaPlanets will go through some serious updates in the near future. There might be longer disruptions and some new posts might not make it to the other side. But generally future is brighter than ever ;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Slightly OT but I looked at the NI users page... only 300 or so of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.