EU-experience with PS VR?

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by Jamira, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Lately I bought a PS4 Pro + PS VR. I have to admit that I'm impressed by "Skyrim VR". What did Bethesda? They just ported the original content of Skyrim SE to VR. Any chance that MA will do the same with EU? I think this chance is pretty small. Hopefully we can do such things by ourself soon. At least in a poor format for limited areas.

Atm I'm up to learn how to export my 3d-content to PS4 and use it with PS VR. Seems to be not that simple so far. I need something like "Unity" ... But I'm a bloody noob in this area. I mean, I can grab the 3d-geometry from the game and import it to my CAD. Hopefully someone can help me with this issue. Wich would mean, that at least I myself can walk through selected spots of EU. And probably other folks who own a PS VR. Additional I could use my 3d-archives of old spots and make them accessible for VR. No clue if this will work.

What do you think?

2. lol... you said MA...and VR x'D

Youll find some experiences of ppl using Oculus Rift back in the days of Entropia.
    Ah well, any mobile "Google CardBoard" game/app offers better immerison then...blocky Entropia with glitches and...DX9.

MA mentioned to fully integrated Oculus in may 2015...but you know...DX9...

Anyway, MA plans to move towards VR...whatever that might mean in terms of MA. Haha x'D

3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I know MA as well as you MC. Two years waiting for fixing my 5k apartment at Medusa's Head, two years to bring Makup back. No worries. I have no respons so far from my ask around regarding porting 3d-data to PS4 VR. But I'm optimistical each process outside MA is faster than MA themself.

Two hours ago I sat IN a X-Wing and defeated an imperial attack with a Stardestroyer and a bunch of Tie-fighters. Okay, I was shot 11 times. But it was really impressive to fly around a Stardestroyer in VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

One of my best memories of VR so far was a fan made starwars game where again I did just that. It's the only time I've found myself whooping and cheering playing a computer game when I destroyed each tie fighter. The sounds, the everything it was the stuff of pure happiness. Actually - when I get round to experimenting with the driver switcher, I should try that again now I have a better Gfx card. It was rather un-optimised and the frame rate was border line bearable.

Re Entropia and VR. As far as I know the only people who have tried it are me and that guy who set up pedtoclick. He used a different route to me. I used MTBS3D's method. It won't work now though till either:

a) I set up the driver switcher
    b) MTBS3D release the (forever in development) next version
    c) MA implement it (hahaha)

I think I have a thread somewhere about my experiences in VR with Entropia. There were some problems. One was with the sky and the moon moving about weirdly, which I managed to fix but MA have changed both since then so whatever I did probably would need re-doing now. The other issue was with shadows. TBH the game looks poo without them so really you DO want them. The issue is that, when playing normally, your "head" is fixed in a set position and can only angle through 2 axis (up/down and left/right). In a DK1 you have rotation too which was actually fine. In a DK2 (what I had access to) you have 3 extra axis of head movement (forward/backward side to side and slide up/down).

What I "think" was happening was that if you moved up or down, this put the "camera" in the wrong place for the shadows to render and they would sort of vanish till you got your head back at the right height. I guess a "fix" would be to somehow find a way to disable vertical movement translation. But yeh I never got far enough into it to get that far.

Another issue I had was that every so often everything would "stop" for just a moment which was a little nauseating. This may have been my PC's performance though - although other games seemed ok. I seem to remember I was taller than expected in VR - was very strange seeing myself but also kinda cool.

vr7.png

Oh other things of course are that the UI is virtually unusuable in VR. You need to configure a 3d mouse pointer to have a hope of being able to click on anything and even then it is really hard. Forgot about being able to read the chat too - at least at DK2 res.

Wistrel

5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

In other VR news. I tried that VRchat program the other night. I did NOT work well on my aging PC... tbh I'm not too sure about how well SteamVR is shaping up - at least for me and my underspec machine.

Something that WAS really cool though was that some people have gone and made a rudimentary implementation (very low poly/res) of "The World" (or bits of it) from the .hack franchise. I'm a big fan of the novels and some of the animes (especially the music), so being able to go to mac anu and the church was something of a dream come true!!

I have literally been over this bridge now :D (all beit a low res version - I think they may have lifted the models out of the PS2 game in fact). You can pick a .hack style avatar too before you go in which was kinda neat.

Untitled.jpg

6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, my intention is different. EU spots would be just sparring partners to learn more about porting my own 3d-models to PS VR. I don't want to play EU anymore since four years. So UI doesn't matter. I just want to walk through some special places. Either grabbed from EU or build by myself. With PS VR and DualShock-Controller like I can do in Skyrim meanwhile.

I assume I'll need something like "Unity" to do such things. But I'm a complete noop at this point. At the other hand it's a nice challenge, isn't it? I want to grab / build a scene, import it to Rhino or 3D Studio and treat it regarding my needs. Than export it from my PC to PS VR and walk through it. For this first step I don't need any interaction. Except collision control ofc. And I don't want to buy a new PC for more than 1k Euro to run the PS VR. I want to use the PS4 Pro wich I bought for 313 Euro.

7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Another aspect would be kinda museum or exhibition of EU animals / robots / vehicles / old and new places in VR. When I start the X-Wing-mission of "Star Wars Battlefront" a giant AT-AT walks in front of me during the loading process. That's really impressive because it's a really giant machine. Same with the dragons in "Skyrim VR" wich are really big compared to that small animals at my flat 24" monitor when I play the PC version.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  8. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well, I downloaded "Unity". I have absolutely no clue what I can do with it. Next days will enlighten me, I hope.

9. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I managed to do some very basic "Hello World" in Unity with VR. In essence I created a room with a giant picture of grumpy cat on the wall and some coloured lighting. This in itself was pretty neat to experience! Something about that cat at that size was rather intimidating.

I then managed a landscape thing and ability to fly about. This was when I cocked up movement and made myself sick.... then time passed and something needed updating and I never did any more and eventually wiped unity as I needed the space.

10. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Okay, first step: import 3d-content from other software into Unity.

upload_2018-1-19_22-18-20.png
    Bahh, no Rhino3D. It is for sure one of the "most popular 3D applications". But I have to admit not a typical tool for game development. At least I managed to get an Atrox. Without textures so far.
    upload_2018-1-19_22-29-31.png
    The textures must be added seperately. But I will care for that later. For now I know I can import my own models easily. All the treating is another task.

11. print it in 5 D !

12. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Let's try a step by step project. First shot Port Atlantis. Textures don't work anymore with the grabber. What ever I try:
    upload_2018-1-20_21-49-8.png
    That's bad. Because I don't want to retexture all this stuff. Alas, simple geometry may be enough for such a simple game. To make it easier for the old computer, I went to Northern Space Base A. Walk through a hangar with VR may be impressive as well.

13. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

It is
    dfffffefrd.jpg ffreled.jpg wow hangars are big!.jpg

14. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

15. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Rhino. Okay, I got nine grabs from the hangar.
    upload_2018-1-21_0-13-27.png
    Have to adjust them and export to 3DS Max to be able to load it into Unity.

Unity. Hmm, seems to big to zoom out.
    upload_2018-1-21_0-30-44.png
    I'm in the middle of my Imperium Spec Lancer, although the original model's origin is a corner of the hangar. Strange. How ever. I must learn now how to export it to PS VR.

Unity doesn't support 3DConnexion devices. That's a major problem for me.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  16. Tass

Tass Administrator

You got PS4 Pro + PSVR for Skyrim?

Just wondering why you didn't get a Vive :)

17. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

LOL! No, it's a tricky story. I bought Assassin's Creed Origins for my Desktop PC. Just to learn immediately that this PC is to lame. ACO can be played in UHD if one owns a PS4 Pro and an appropriate TV. Since I own such a 65"-TV already the question was: Buy a new PC for 1200+ Euro and enjoy ACO in HD or buy a PS4 Pro for 350 Euro and enjoy ACO in UHD (by accident I got the PS4 for 313 Euro because of a special offer of MediaMarkt that day). During my investigations I stumbled about Skyrim VR for PS VR. I play this game since ages and still like it. And I thought by myself: Let's run the full program and buy the PS VR as well. All in all 812 Euro. New PC + Vive costs? 1600+ Euro? Wich would mean no ACO in UHD. ACO is really impressive in UHD at a 65" TV - better quality than most of my BlueRay movies. Easy choice I think.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  18. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Well ... looks pretty lame:
    upload_2018-1-21_2-31-2.png
    Dunno what it is. I always prefer to do my own things.

19. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Quick question since you've been ripping the hangar.... is there any evidence to suggest the roof might actually open and close? I just wondered because MA once made a video showing this functionality working (unless it was clever editing). It never made it into the game though... (one for content of oblivion maybe?)

20. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I'm afraid 3D Ripper DX is too old. It's not maintained since 2011. But I never ever got a grab with animations. Contrary to some *.nif-files from Skyrim (opening doors). I think 3D Ripper grabs a frozen scene only. So the answer is: no.

Edit:
    It is prepaired for a close:
    upload_2018-1-23_21-27-22.png
    upload_2018-1-23_21-28-31.png
    upload_2018-1-23_21-30-56.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.