Planet Cyrene: Exploring Cyrene. Again.

Discussion in 'Planet Cyrene' started by NotAdmin, May 8, 2018.

1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I recently hitched a ride back to Cyrene with John Black. Back in 2012 or so I purchased a multi-pass and only used it once. He was kind enough to honour the deal from back then (which I wasn't expecting), and after a short flight, I found myself back on the planet where most of my precious belongings had remained since I departed for Calypso all these years ago.

Cyrene1.PNG
    The long stay wasn't intentional. I ended up getting caught in a revenge and booze-fuelled feud first with Argonauts, who at first almost permanently put me in wheelchair, and later on with Tantillions.

Cyrene2.PNG

I barely recognise the planet. News of the shifting of the tectonic plates of course managed to reach me, even in the Calypso wilderness. A friendly traders at an outpost notified me that things back home were not entirely right, but I sort of figured it would not have been that big of a deal. Boy, was I wrong. Nothing could have prepared me for what I found once I teleported down from the Space station.

It's almost as if the planet shrunk. The land masses I remember are no longer there, and environments seem strangely unfamiliar. Teleporters were no longer where I recall them being, and former bases now lie abandoned amidst the landscape while their inhabitants regrouped elsewhere (I actually like this. It reminds me of PRE-CE2 on Calypso, where remnants of the robot wars, as well as various special interest points scattered the landscape. It makes for a welcome break from just procedurally generated terrain).

Cyrene3.PNG

Another thing I noticed is that some of the grass moves when you walk through it. I never noticed that on Calypso, but the difference could simply be that while at Calypso my mind was set to revenge and killing, here it was engaged in wonder about the landscape, and the explorer curiosity that had taken a hold of me.

The mobs seem more animated on Cyrene, too. Most of them have some ability using some kind of particle effect, making them easier to see. I had more trouble targeting them though, for some reason.

You won't easily get bored, either, because there are lots and lots of quests, ranging from clearing a few mobs, to chasing a number of components of down vehicles, mining, and crafting. Iron chain-like missions also exist. I have barely started, and already my mission log is packed.

Cyrene4.PNG

The main thing I currently miss is people. The auction is pretty empty, and while I ran into a number of green dots, they all seem quiet and pre-occupied with their own little lives. Kris is launching a tideclaw event soon, and hopefully some additional measures will soon be taken in order to bring over some more population.

I hope that in 2018 Cyrene will finally be able to have its hard launch, as there's clearly been a lot of work put into the planet.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I like the semi story tell feel of the post. I still look at the pics though and think how bad it looks compared to Caly, RT (note not been there since the shrinkage) or NI.

Still, I still intend to go to Cyrene one day.

3. San

San

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.