How I play Entropia Universe successfully.

Discussion in 'Next Island community' started by Magyar, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Ive been playing Entropia Universe for over a year. I enjoy the product, and think it has alot to offer to the community. However I recognize its downsides, the high cost of gaming being one, slow updates being another, and missed timelines being yet another. There are quite a few more. The platform is far from perfect.

So what keeps me going?

Well for one, no game platform out there is perfect. Entropia Universe is very much like every other MMO in comparison. Most require a monthly fee that propels their cost well above a standalone game. Most have updates, but they are not done on a regular schedule, and if you follow the development of MMORPGs, most miss their deadlines. Entropia may be potentially more expensive than other games, but thats only potentially, and it isnt exactly rocket science to figure out that you should only put into a product what you can afford to lose and dont mind actually losing!

I'll spare you folks the lectures though on balancing your checkbooks. That's not what this is about, and to be honest I find such discussions rather pedantic and more than a little insulting to my intelligence. I dont think Im alone here. :D

Back to the question. What keeps me going?

Simple. Balance. I keep the game in its proper perspective. It has potential, and that potential should be investigated. But is it a job? Absolutely not. Is it something I should do with all my spare time? Not on your life! That would be cost prohibitive, for one, and two theres alot more to life, and MMORPG's than just EU.

Some may consider this heresy, but I play other games alongside EU.

I dont just pick games randomly. Sure I like certain products and they seem to grab my attention, but simply picking another MMORPG out of the hat isnt enough! I try to pick games that complement EU. I think of what is positive within EU, what it offers that no other game platform does, and then think of what its missing. Games I pick out tend to balance that side out. For instance:

• Entropia has incredible depth in professions
    • Entropias entire map is usable
    • Entropia has a ridiculous crafting system that is hugely detailed
    • Entropia allows the universe to grow, and my character to grow with it. I can experience new settings without buying a new product and developing a new character.
    • Entropia has a rich and varied social and cultural appeal

• Entropia has a high cost per hour of play
    • Entropia has a high player attrition rate
    • Entropia is very polticially charged, with certain people playing out real political agendas in a fantasy setting
    • Entropia is a grind
    • Entropia lacks alot of instant gratification appeal
    • Player vs Player is expensive and largely a waste of time and money.
    • Character movements are cumbersome, and theres not a variety of combat techniques. Combat can be boring.

• The game may have a rewarding PvP system
    • The game may have alot of skills
    • The game may progress quickly
    • The game may be low or very stable in cost
    • The games community may be relaxed, without any personal axes to grind.
    • The game may be new player friendly.
    • The game may not be an MMORPG!

Ive been playing MMORPG's for 14 years now. I run a business dedicated to MMORPG's that has grown out of this hobby. Its not a stretch to say that I find MMORPG's personally rewarding. So I largely end up supplementing my game time in Entropia by playing up and coming MMORPG's on the side. As a person involved with the media side of MMORPG's I do alot of this professionally. Friends or friends of friends will tell me about a game, or some service problem within a game and ask me to investigate. This provides distraction, and some reward.

I also engage willingly in certain MMORPG products.

This is my character in the new Sci Fi MMORPG Earthrise.

[​IMG]

This is my character in Darkfall Online

[​IMG]

There's a point to this, and that point is diversification. Entropia is great, but only if you as a player maintain a certain amount of distance from it. MMORPGs have a real ability to intrude upon players personal lives, becoming part of, and sometimes more important than the rest. When that starts to happen perspective is lost, and players negative reactions towards a products downsides are amplified.

The funny thing about this is that the player already knew these downsides existed!

The key is balance. Instead of waiting for MindArk to fix everything, and blaming MindArk for your bad time realize you have control over your entertainment. Go outside. Subscribe to a 2nd game and enjoy it. Find something else to do. Entropia Universe is not a subscription game. Your only obligation is the obligation you set for yourself. It will be here when you are ready for it.

So relax, chill out, enjoy life and gaming on your terms, and enjoy EU on its terms.

2. hm
    need more ped
    must deposit

sun shinning, must hide in basement & play game
    ugauga

3. You bring up a very good point. In a regular monthly fee everything included MMORPG I used to play a lot because the meter was running and I wanted to get all the entertainment I could for my cost per month. After playing a lot of MMORPGs, it's hard not to think about a game in a different way. I have PED deposited in the game. There is no meter that expires (well short of the game being cancelled someday by the producers) so there is no reason to feel like I'm "on the clock" and am gaining anything by playing a lot. I can spend X PED to gain Y skill and it will be the same if I grind that skill and burn the item decay over a week or over 3 months. The end result and the real money as PED spent would be the same, it just is either sooner or later.

My player impulse from past gaming says Sooner! But your blog post has given me things to think about and thanks for that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.