Idea for 'PC-setup Discussion' section/forum on EuC.

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by nexus7, Sep 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Maybe 'PC-setup Discussion' isn't the right choice of words, but basically the idea is to have a sub forum or section where EuC members could discuss issues that they are having with their PC setups. After all, one's enjoyment in EU is greatly down to how well one's system is coping, so I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have this.:)

2. Maybe just call it "Hardware". Would encompass a slightly bigger subject.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Good idea, 'Hardware' sounds good, or 'Hardware Discussion'. The description could be something like 'Discuss all things related to hardware issues when playing EU', or something along those lines...

4. I Think that's a really good idea nexus!

5. Anna

Anna Master of the Universe

Yay, an official subforum for me to rant about my dead pc :D

6. Burgerman

Burgerman Cleaner

Good idea Nexus7, this should be an interesting section of the forum. :ok:

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but one tip I recommend is opening your graphic's card settings (right mouse click the desktop and there is usually an option there for Nvidia or ATI graphics settings) and finding the Vertical Sync or V Sync option and switching it to ALWAYS ON, rather than the default which is often to let the application or game choose the setting.
    The loading screens of the games I tested, including EU, caused the graphics card to work very hard refreshing the loading screen (password login type screen) at very high refresh rates if the V Sync setting in the graphics driver was not switched ON. The setting using the in-game options seems irelevant, it is the basic Windows driver setting that is worth setting to ON, imho.
    I think this is what killed Bunny's graphics card, as eventually the fan used to jump from idle speed to 100% speed almost as soon as a game was loaded, causing excessive fan noise and still being unable to sufficiently cool the card.

7. Welcome back Burgerman, not sure if you've been away but it seems like it :). I just set my graphics card as per your recommendation, will be testing it soon.

8. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

:-) When was this exactly?So now it is all set.

9. I kill your kind. For money!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Burgerman

Burgerman Cleaner

Thanks Cee, I wish I had been away (preferably someplace sunny) but I was just busy with work. :-({|=

Switching Vsync off used to be mentioned in a lot of game sites, I think to maximise your frames per second so as to allow the game to run faster/smoother? Using LCD monitors might also influence the choice to switch vsync on or off? It seemed that the login screens were the issue, so as long as the user is aware not to leave the game sitting at the login screen too long then it might not be a problem. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts when you've had time to test it. :)

It looks like Miss Blabberbot has survived the forum upgrade, I was almost hoping she would be gone. :hehe:

11. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

When was this exactly?Quite honestly, I wouldn't worry myself about that.
    How long have you been using LCD monitors might influence the choice to switch vsync on or off ?That makes sense to me.
    Oh, login screens were the issue so as long as the user is.Does it really matter. :-) Interesting comparsion.I'm happy you're amused.

12. Burgerman

Burgerman Cleaner

Blah! Blah! Blah! :handgun:

13. Work does seem to get in the way sometimes :).

I use FRAPS and had noticed that the only time I get a decent FPS was at the various parts of the login process. Once it's up and running FPS drops a lot and sometimes it's glitchy. I have been having issues with running out of memory, I suspect EU is not picking up the available memory from windows correctly as my graphics card uses shared system memory. It gets worse after every update :).

Welcome back even though you totally failed at being on holiday :).

• Like Like x 2
  14. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

:-) Are you really a ""?
    I heard other people use FRAPS and noticed that the time he or she get a decent FPS was at the various parts of the login process too. When? use FRAPS and noticed that the time he or she get a decent FPS was at the various parts of the login process is up and running FPS drops and it is glitchy? up and running FPS drops and it is glitchy is?Where were you having issues with running out of memory he or she suspect EU picking up the available memory from windows as his or her graphics card uses shared system memory is not picking up the available memory from windows?:-) I can certainly understand that.:-) Do you still use FRAPS and noticed that the time he or she get a decent FPS was at the various parts of the login process?

15. Vendetta is declared!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Vsync is one of those problems that the GFX manufacturers wish they could forget!
    You all probably know this but it's worth chatting about for anyone that doesn't.
    The basic issue is that the FPS generated is variable according to the complexity of the scene (as shown by an FPS counter). The vertical refresh is constant according to the refresh rate of your monitor settings.
    So, the chances are that by the time the 'vertical blank' arrives, the GFX card is half-way through painting the next 'frame'!
    This results in the 'tearing' effect you often see running across your screen.
    Switching on Vertical Synch is a great idea because it ensures that the 2 get synched up at the appropriate moment i.e. just before the screen is 'refreshed'. Using this option makes the GFX card wait before it can start a new frame. This does reduce the FPS count by 1 frame in each refresh.
    If you were to look at this and think you were losing something then you really are valuing the horsepower of your card over and above the quality of the output.
    I find the tearing effect a nasty distraction and a huge reduction in the quality and feel of a game, so you will find it switched ON in most of my settings. If I was overclocking and really wanted to know how many FPS I'm generating then I might turn it off. The silly thing is after your FPS goes way above refresh you can't actually see the damn frames anyway they've been and gone by the time you see 'em!

Don't even start me on the horrible cadence of output frames that introduce that weird 'pumping' effect as things move faster/slower!

*rant mode off*

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thanks everyone for the positive response.:) Where in the 'Admin' do you go to setup this 'PC Setup Discussion' forum, which I'm sure visitors would find invalluable once its up and running... Also, thanks Burgerman for the Virtual Sync tip, I will def' try this!

• Like Like x 2
  18. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

That's a rather sweeping generalization.:-) In The Chronicle's place in EU Chronicle.Do you prefer books or TV?

19. What's a sweeping generalization? Don't get you ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. TalkerBot

TalkerBot Forum Pest

Ask the open directory about it.
    :-) I am not trying to get you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.