If you build it...

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by NotAdmin, Oct 29, 2010.

1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

We just finished watching Field of Dreams. I have to admit, that was a nice movie. One that makes you think. One that makes you consider life from a different perspective.

Now, Kevin Costner is not my thing, really. I liked him in JFK, but I liked Gary Oldman more in that. Then again, I have yet to see a movie where Oldman gets outdone. But anyway. I remember seeing a brief snippet of the movie ages ago, and when we saw it on sale, I figured it'd be a good purchase. We finally got to watching it tonight, and I am almost feeling as inspired as I did after the first time I saw "Dead Poets Society".

For those of you not familiar with the story, the main character drastically changed his career, and became a corn farmer. While walking in his fields, he suddenly hears a strange voice telling him that "If you will build it, he will come". It takes him a while to fgure out that "it" is actually a baseball field, but when he does, he goes right to work. He keeps on hearing hidden messages, which eventually lead him to reconcile with his deceased father. The movie really managed to strike a chord with me, though, so I grabbed myself a nice whisky, and here we are.

I honestly, truly believe that every person has some kind of goal in life. Everybody was born to do something great. If you ever saw that documentary about Michael Jackson, you will have heard Michael state that he used to sit in a particular tree, and he just heard the music in his head. It's that kind of stuff I'm talking about. Opportunities are out there for everyone. If you have an open mind for it, you, too, can receive these kind of things.

If you build it...

I have never believed in coincidence. Things happen for a reason. Basically, life will toss you right in front of a crossroads, and make you choose. I had it happen when I was in college. I had to pick between finihsing my college education (which I simply could not see myself doing for 40 years), or taking a blind jump into the unknown and pursuing a career in IT. I chose. My parents, my friends, my teachers. All of them were convinced I took the wrong path. But I knew better. I had a goal in mind, and was willing to move mountains in order to get there. And in the long run, it did turn out to be the right choice.

If you build it...

Recently, Lykke and me have been talking about doing something crazy. Something we would love to do, but we're not sure we have the guts to do it. It would require us to sell our house. We love our house, but it does get very cold in the winters (damn global warming!), and it's not cheap to live here. We're finding excuses on why we perhaps should just sell it, and take a breather for a bit. Save up a bit of moolah, and then just take the jump. If we do not do it now, we'll be too old soon. We'll always be left with a feeling of "what if", the rest of our lives. The movie had the exact same thing. Some old doctor who played about 5 minutes in a single inning, and then had to wonder the rest of his life what it would have been like if he had actually managed to play against a pro. Or like that poor shoesalesman, who once scored 4 touchdowns in a single game in highschool football, but then married a redhead and always had to wonder what life as a pro football player would have been like?

If you build it...

There is no coincidence. Perhaps, we were also destined to see this movie tonight. To serve as our strange voice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.