IP banning

Discussion in 'About EU Chronicle' started by Phunkygeeza, Oct 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. I've been adding one or two extra ban options into the EuC system to keep out the riff-raff.

Attacking EuC in any way now results in a total ban or that IP address, as does spamming and trying to use bots to register.

Let's hope this cleans up this 'ol town ;)

• Like Like x 12
  2. That's mighty fine work Sheriff Phunksta, I sure hope it shows them Spamin boys a lesson!

• Like Like x 9
  3. Burgerman

Burgerman Cleaner

Good work Phunksta. :ok:

• Like Like x 7
  4. Godthatfailed

Godthatfailed Organizer

but, isn't IP address EASIEST to change....
    IMO, it would be best with Mac address baning(hardware address of your lan card)
    this one is impossible to change, only way to change is to buy new lan card ^^

• Like Like x 2
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Esquire

I don't think that is possible, but even if it is, it certainly isn't of any use, since the spammer can easily use another PC, i.e. public PCs in an Internet Cafe 8) (Of course that would apply to IP banning as well... well never mind that :p)

I think the 3 Infraction Ban setting works just fine, as it was seen working as expected today :D

• Like Like x 5
  6. You're right that it's not exactly a brilliant defence, but it does mean that if someone's PC is infected by a botnet, at least they cannot attack from that vector anymore. Also this way if one type of attack is detected, then all future types are stopped from that address.

Until the people that run the internet 'extract a digit' and implement some common sense protective measures then poor webmasters like myself have to put up with script kiddies knocking on their door all day long..

Also, it is almost as easy to spoof a MAC address as it is an IP address :(

• Like Like x 7
  7. Godthatfailed

Godthatfailed Organizer

true.... well hopefully this stops all irregularities on site ;)

• Like Like x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.