Making my Entropia Avatar (ish) with Hero Forge

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by Wistrel, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I found out about this thing called Hero Forge the other day. It's basically an interactive 3D character design program in a web page. I think it's largely aimed at a pen and paper RPG audience so they can make something akin to their RP character for use in the bits of the game where you need a physical character on a map (like a dungeon or something - I've only done that sort of game once so don't really know). Once you've designed your character you can pay for them to print it at a scale of a few cm, or just purchase the STL file.

Anyway as you'd expect, it's mostly full of fantasy type options but there is a fair amount of scifi stuff too so I had a bit of fun last night having a go at creating something Wistrel like. No doubt, @Jamira will say "nope - no good" but hey well, I had fun, and the options weren't super extensive. I think ultimately the level of complexity available is designed so that the software is easy to use/not take too long, but also with the fact in mind that it's intended to only to be printed a few cm's tall, and not all the options for printing are super high detail.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the results. I was particularly amused to see that they had a perfectly proportioned giant egg (ahhh...) that I could use on the stand, and yes, @McCormick will be pleased to know that there IS a wrench you can put in your character's hand :D.

EP 1.jpg

I'm debating maybe buying the STL and having my friend see if he can print it 12cm high or something. Dunno.

EP 2.jpg

or perhaps I get them to make me an uber expensive bronze version :D (no, really not - even though it does look pretty cool - maybe just buy paint la).

EP3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

That's pretty cool! I made a quick'n'dirty one:
    upload_2020-10-17_3-0-3.png
    Well, very limited possibilities and really big hands ... lol! But I will order it as STL.

3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Okay, got it:
    upload_2020-10-17_3-13-30.png
    Seems to be a bit rough. But it's funny.

Ops, what's that?
    upload_2020-10-17_3-16-30.png
    And the nose!
    upload_2020-10-17_3-19-22.png

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  4. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Wistrel, don't think about a 12cm-figure please!
    I got some sets of scanned naked femals lately and started printing some of them. They are all around 32cm tall.
    upload_2020-10-17_3-44-45.png
    You should at least consider 25cm. Everything else is not impressive.
    You may choose a better base than that plane one you used and buy your model for $7,99 as STL and send it to me. I can print it for you for free. Just for fun. I can probably make some mesh smooth too because my model looks too rough at some parts:
    upload_2020-10-17_3-53-35.png upload_2020-10-17_3-54-40.png
    upload_2020-10-17_4-1-33.png
    Hmm ... didn't work very good. At least you can sand it a bit and paint it by yourself.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Ah that is really interesting Jamira thanks for the investigation! I was thinking 12cm as I have a couple of Figmas that are about that sort of height. Also because my friend printed the tower at about 12cm high and, with the level of detail in the entropia model, this worked in that you could only just see the triangles if you are looking for them (e.g. on the dome).

My expectation was that the STL would be appropriate for / aimed at the production of a 3cm high figure as used in table top games. I figured this would be too poo on a standard 3D printer... i.e. the details would be too tiny to come out (probably need a Resin one) but, if I scale up 4 times (X/Y) that might be enough that the detail comes out but the triangles don't. Just a bit of reckoning really.

Well I didn't go back to it yet but will see. I have some CAD to do for my friend before next seeing him anyhow and currently we can't go in each other's houses due to my area being the worst for Covid in the UK at the moment.... actually... stupidly... I might be able to go in HIS house as he might be outside the area... (rules are bonkers here).

I think that anomally under the foot in yours is deliberate. Remembering these STLs are purposed for 3cm tall models, the contact area with the base would be miniscule without it. It's not an uncommon thing, I remember me and my sister had some handed down little plastic army men when we were kids that had similar things under the feet if they were not flat on the ground. Just helps hold onto the base at small scale. The small scale is the reason all the features are so "chunky" too. Anything too fine would simply be too fragile at 3cm scale.

Speaking of the base. I chose the sand deliberately... just kinda worked in my mind. I liked all the funny pots of gold and the egg too, I was tempted by one with crystals though.

Thanks again for the investigation.

6. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I understand your reasons.
    The figure I've got was 50 mm tall:
    upload_2020-10-17_21-55-2.png
    1,5 hours print as full model with 0,1 mm layer thickness.
    Currently I print the first part at your 120 mm size. This will take a bit longer ;-)
    upload_2020-10-17_21-59-33.png
    Makes sense to use this format since you own other figures of this size already. Let's see how my one will appear.

7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I think this site could be a good playground for little children like my 6 years old grandchild. And - tbh - $8 for the model isn't that much as far as you want only one or two. It's just a bit more of what I smoke every day ;-) Of course those children need a grandfather with 3D printer ...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Yeh, I mean I liked it cause it was basically a game avatar creator but without a game (sorta). Indeed I think my neices may enjoy it as I know they play dress up dolly games (effectively) on tablets.

Interesting to see how you split yours up there. I guess that's to cut down on support material

9. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

Yes, because I want less printing support and less dressing as possible. I added my own support structures. As mentioned it is a 120 mm figure plus 5 mm base.
    upload_2020-10-19_1-16-23.png
    In real it looks way better than at the photo.
    It is just sticked together not glued yet. I started painting the single parts. Will be black & white ... Jamira's style even. Also I thought about sunglasses like Malachai Ash:
    upload_2020-10-19_1-25-21.png
    Hard to print such a small part though ... 10 mm wide only
    upload_2020-10-19_1-27-13.png
    And yes: a bigger figure wouldn't look very good. Because of the rough model:
    upload_2020-10-19_1-31-42.png
    Even at the 120 mm-version you can see the flat triangles. Heroforge should offer a hi-res-version too. For the freaks ;-)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  10. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

All in all I think this could become a good way to bring new technology to young children. I love the ease of use and the way they display the result. Although the possibilities are limited to a given pool it offers a wide range. This can (and will - I assume) expand in near future. So ... thank you very much for this hint!

Lately I bought and downloaded kinda 40 figures. Printing them at the size of 300 mm+ would cause room problems. But that 120 mm format could be a real alternate. Inspect the limits of my small cabin:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i2OL6QMhw73rYfTwtAjrLJMocAQw9_hf/view?usp=sharing

There is another option for printing since Creality offer such 3D-printer:
    https://www.banggood.com/de/Crealit...P7VSZYUuxqSrSehoCjikQAvD_BwE&cur_warehouse=ES
    That's with Resin.
    upload_2020-10-19_2-17-40.png
    I really think about it. No room to place that printer though ...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.