MindArk: Moon sold for $150.000 in Entropia Universe

Discussion in 'Entropia News' started by EntropiaPlanets, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Once again Entropia Universe makes headline news by the sale of a major virtual estate. This time a newly discovered moon went for not less than USD 150,000 to a group of investors lead by player "Modified Akoz Power".

Comment by Akoz right after the end of the auction: "I was hoping for more of a contest, but me and my co-investors are really happy with the new purchase and must now get to work on making it a success."

Virtual property sales have a tradition in Entropia Universe, for example:
    But unlike the estates sold in the past whose incomes are based on taxes on various players activities on the estate, the now sold moon estate will feature a different concept: The income will be generated from sharing of the total revenues between MindArk and the new owner. The concept adds the opportunity for the owner to influence the development of the estate but also hands over the need of marketing to the owner. This concept can be considered a very light version of MindArk's planet partner concept that allows companies to create their own game world in form of a planet completely integrated in the Entropia Universe.

The sale of the moon estate was announced by MindArk in early March 2013 as a part of Entropia Universe's tenth anniversary celebrations. Not soon after several groups were formed by players to buy and operate the estate in a joint venture

One around "Jenna Star Mercury" who already lead a group of investors in 2009 to buy Crystal Palace Space Station ceased operation again. "I don't think the model suits paying over $150k and a bidding war was imminent if I got in too" said Star.

A few days after the Moon Estate Deed entered the ingame auction the group around "Akoz Modified Power" made the initial bid of USD 150,000. Like "Star" also Akoz is a well-known player and investor who lead the group that won the auction of the Medusa Islands for 30,000 USD in 2011. Akoz considers the moon estate a big chance but a challenge as well:

"What interests me the most about the moon investment is that unlike land areas the moon owner can truly be a part of shaping this rock into something of his own, rather than buying a static premade area. The moon's success will depend on what the owner can make out of it.
    Out of the box the moon will not have a ROI to defend its price. It does however have a great revenue model where a successful moon rather than tapping into the pockets of existing players, will help promote Entropia to new players and in new markets for mutual benefit."

Since no one else turned up to bid on the moon estate it finally went to the group of investors around "Modified Akoz Power" for USD 150,000.

Gratz to the winner and good luck with the venture. The moon has meanwhile been named "Monria" and is supposed to be added to Entropia Universe in late Q2/Q3 2013.

The winning bid on expired auction:

Entropia Universe Moon Estate sold for USD 150000 to Modified Akoz Power.png

Stats of the moon estate:
    • A start room for new participants to become acquainted with the Entropia Universe user interface and basic gameplay.
    • A Lunar Command Center with teleporters, terminals, storage, auctioneers, quest NPCs, four (4) premium shops, and portals to the subsurface caverns.
    • Two (2) Lunar Habitats, each with 50 apartments and 5 shops. These apartments and shops are individual estates which can be traded to other Entropia Universe participants.
    • Eight (8) subsurface caverns filled with unique creatures and rare resources.
    • Four (4) unique creatures.
    • Four (4) hunting quest chains, one for each creature.
    • Mining within the subsurface caverns, including two (2) new mining resources, exclusive to the moon.
    • Revenue Sharing: Revenue generated through participant activity will be shared with the Moon Manager as follows:
      • Activity on the moon estate by participants recruited by Moon Manager: 35%
      • Activity on the moon estate by all other participants: 10%
      • Activity elsewhere within Entropia Universe by participants recruited by the Moon Manager: 25%

Further information:
    This article is available under the free CC BY license. Feel free to use it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Puck

Puck Puck

Congrats to Akoz et LLP.

3. Nor Alien

Nor Alien Wisker Fish

Hmm that went for a lot less then I thought.... Gratz to Akoz :D

4. Well that ended :) now let's see what comes of it :)

5. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Congratulations, Akoz.

I'm not sure MindArk was expecting more? This is the second time Akoz gets the goodies for what seems a low amount, and without any frantic bidding like we saw at the Crystal Palace auction.

Not really sure what they will try next time. They learned from the Medusa sale by adding a start bid to the auction, but I do not see a way for them to somehow ensure the value gets boosted, unless the auction system is somehow changed to cater for extra options.

I'm not even sure what the reason is. Obviously there's a RL crisis still raging, which might have something to do with it, or perhaps the novelty of these big sales just wore off?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Gratz to Akoz and his team.
    If you guys get the the options to right your own mission/story I would love to help out.

8. Now why is my video like? Is it because I finally tell the world what big ball is?:headscratch:

9. narfi

narfi Lost

Congrats to Akoz, Squall and Mikass
    Hopefully MA delivers a nice rock to you, and you are able to really drive advertisements and interest in it to the public.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. we've all been mooned.

11. redirect

12. Tass

Tass Administrator

Gz to the winners and GL with the project.

Will be an interesting one due to the special setup: Revenue sharing and marketing requirements.

I'm not sure whether we'll see more of these, 150,000 USD is a lot but making it the start bid MindArk were sure hoping for more.

Meanwhile media is picking it up:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/04/entropia-universe-players-buy-the-moon/
    http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2013/04/moon-sale-brings-in-cash-marketing/

It's also on reddit, not sure whether that means anything: http://en.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1bozhs/moon_sold_for_150000_in_entropia_universe/

13. Yes, it's only been a few hours, but needs to be asked:

When you going to add the Moon to the forum? Dang you guys are getting slow!:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. The truth is in the detail. Jenna Star Mercury - "I don't think the model suits paying over $150k and a bidding war was imminent if I got in too".
    In other words, there were no other bidders - there never was going to be other bidders. This auction was won before it started.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  15. MindStar9

MindStar9 Floating in Space

Seems that way Nexus ...

16. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Oh... its not turning up till Q3/4/14sometimenevermaybewhenwegetaroundtoit
    ohweforgotAh...themoon.

That's a shame.

17. Gratz Akoz...I guess... o_O

Am I allowed to make a funny video about you and a moon now ?

• Like Like x 1
  18. MitchyMoo

MitchyMoo Captain

GZ Akoz & Co.

Look's like this will certainly be an interesting venture - and definitely a challenge. I look forward to my first expedition! :)

19. I would not have been surprised if actually no one had bid the SB.
    Someone like Akoz just might be able to get it all working well enough so it might become profitable in a few years time (after the go live, which hopefully happens on time).
    But to get into the profitzone will be a challenge for sure.

20. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

yeh actually though I'm really pleased it went to those guys. I think they will do well... Hopefully it will be a big enough money maker they can expand the syndicate and buy/run next island.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.