Narfi's Life after EU: Chapter One - The Model Boat

Discussion in 'Life, the Universe and Everything' started by narfi, Aug 10, 2017.

1. narfi

narfi Lost

Feb 25, 2017

We had dinner at a buddies house tonight. They are moving to Georgia and he has started browsing the plans here after seeing the model Landon and I are making.

He really likes the 25ft Carolina Sportfish and we spent some time watching the bateau youtube playlist while letting or steaks settle enough for desert.

I didn't even know there was a bateau youtube playlist..... I'm gonna have to watch it all now ...........

2. narfi

narfi Lost

Every once in a while we will dig out the model and move blocks around on it to change the seating etc.... but really havent been any major changes or finishing of the model.

It served its purpose. We learned how the stitch and glue system works, and how easy it is to build a boat with this system.
    After much hemming and hawing and back and forth on the forum I decided that the full size boat would be an FS17 built fairly basicly and it will be Landon's 'running around' boat as he gets older.
    The major factors in that decision were simplicity now, cheaper to build now, cheaper to operate forever, and cheaper initial cost in purchasing a motor.
    But first, we decided to build a full sized canoe. The plans for both the canoe and FS17 were purchased, and all plywood, fiberglass, and epoxy were ordered around the end of May.

Comming soon: Chapter Two - The Boat Factory

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

I love your project. Crazy enough: half a year ago I decided to play another game (I mentioned). The idea is a living boat for my wife and me, slow but comfortable.
    upload_2017-8-12_4-38-12.png

upload_2017-8-12_4-39-1.png
    I talked to a local boat builder a few days ago. It's a bit different to your project and I'm afraid I can't effort it: ~500.000 Euro.
    But I share your dream of a boat. :wave:

4. narfi

narfi Lost

Hmm..... we should work on your design......
    Move your bed forward 5ft. Move the sun deck up a level.
    You have turned a 55ft ship into a 30ft boat. A half million starting bid worth a million by the time you are done into a 60k project worth 1-200k by the time you are done.......

Exaggerations maybe but defiantly worth exploring out side the original box to see how well we can "play the game" for you.

Would you and your wife be able to live in a motor home? I think they are called caravans in Europe?
    If yes.... then there will be no problem finding you an "affordable" solution.

5. narfi

narfi Lost

Is this too small?
    http://bateau.com/studyplans/TW28_study.php?prod=TW28

I know couples live on this size boat year round..... but it often is determined by the wife what is permissible and the minimum of creature comforts......
    Supplies to build this boat is probably 30k or so.... furnishings and motor maybe that much again.... so roughly the 60k I estimated above......
    If retired do you have an interest in building for yourself or only in having it professionally built? Say you pay someone 50 an hour for 1000hrs... that adds 50k to your cost.... but what is your time worth? (I have no idea what shiprighhts charge)

6. narfi

narfi Lost

7. Jamira

Jamira Samurai Girl

LOL, I don't want to hitchhike your threat. Yes, it would be too small. Even the katamaran wouldn't be big enough.
    upload_2017-8-12_20-39-29.png
    The photo shows, compared to the man in forground, that the total room of the katamaran would be only our living room (different to my plan of our minimum need). No kitchen, no sleeping rooms, no sanitary instllation - just the living room. It's definitely too small. It should be possible to live at the boat for several months with all comfort we have in our flat at land (including the 65" TV, two places for hang out in front of a computer monitor and such things we won't miss.

There are boats already at the market:
    upload_2017-8-12_21-32-26.png
    http://www.mein-boot.eu/boot-kaufen/neubau/kormoran-1500.html
    355.000 Euro. But it's too small for me. And not what I want.
    My pictures result from checking our absolutly minimum need of space - wich ended at ~50 sqm. Better would be something at 70 - 80 sqm + sundeck. The boat builder said: "Make it wider than 4 m. 5 - 6 m would be okay for a boat with a length of 17 -20 m." (20 m length is the limit for the basic boat driving licence in Germany.) The sundeck has changed its place to the roof of the living rooms meanwhile as well as several other details have been changed (second bedroom, WC and shower etc.) Would be cool to have our MX5 aboard. Wich would mean that we need a deck crane (1500 kg) as well - LOL!
    Approximated costs per year (demurrage, maintenance, fuel etc.) in Germany: 10% of initial costs.
    Design: I put a rough hull around the flat to make it easier to imagine a boat. Design (sexiness) wasn't the goal. I will make a better version later. Btw. wife denied to play the game with me. "You are a nutcase!" Sure. But hey, it's just a game :wink:

As mentioned: I don't want to spam your thread with my game. So let this end here.

Good luck and have fun with "The Boat Factory"!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. narfi

narfi Lost

The boat factory is built and in use already.....
    I just need time to post that chapter.

Currently I am maybe 3/4 through the following chapter already. A 14ft canoe. It's built and glassed and mostly faired just needs seats end compartments and breasthooks and painted..... like they say 90% done 90% to go :p

9. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I think I entirely missed the model boat! (found on your sig just now)

10. narfi

narfi Lost

hehe, I think we threw it out a couple years ago now..... we have the real thing :)

Watch some youtube walkthrough videos of ~45ft(14m) production catamarans in the 5-10 year old range with your wife.... perhaps you can convince her yet? Even the 40ft ones have a ton of space and are cheaper.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.