Achievement New job!

Discussion in 'Hall of Fame' started by NotAdmin, Apr 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Granted, I normally wouldn't post about a new job, but this one is special ;)

For those of you who have ever dabbled in creating a game of their own, you undoubtedly have had to pick an engine to run your brand new project in. We did, several years ago, and after reviewing several options, we ended up selecting Unity 3D. Our prime reason back then was to keep costs own, and Unity is extremely affordable compared to other engines.

I bought a few books on Unity, but real life mostly prohibited me from ever following them fully through.

Some weeks ago, while browsing LinkedIn, as I do quite often, my eye was caught to a job ad for a Business Intelligence Analyst in... Unity. I sent in a letter of application, and was contacted by their HR department shortly after. I went in for a few interviews, and was offered the job.

I started there today :-)

• Gratz Gratz x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  2. narfi

narfi Lost

Congrats :)

3. MindStar9

MindStar9 Floating in Space

Congratulations Peter :thumbsup: ... let us know how it goes.

4. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Congratulations! Can you tell us what you do? I have a friend in a similar role for a large company and he claims he sends emails and copy pastes spreadsheets all day @D

5. AxeMurderer

AxeMurderer Master Of Entropia

Gratz, I'm also keeping one eye on Unity to make some game in the future. When time alow it.

6. Unity 3D looks great. Gratz on getting the post.

7. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I'm currently still getting to know the systems used, but eventually I'll be able to dig up relevant data for the marketing/crm team. For instance, I'm going to assist them with a better segmentation of the customer base, and help them figure out better ways to target the customers, which in turn, hopefully leads to increased revenue.

Basically, I'll handle the technical side of digging up the necessary data, help getting it formatted into a format that makes sense to the target audience, and help them make interpret the data.

It seems Unity is growing at an incredible pace, though, so there's probably a lot of other stuff coming up as well. So far, I'm having a blast, and I don't foresee that changing any time soon. It's a fun company, where everyone's really into gaming :)

8. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

I see everyone is taking up unity. All the indie game devs and students. Its interesting. I understand that Crytek are also looking to try and get cryengine used in a similar way. I think they have a way to go yet...

Another interesting point is that The Rift has support for unity out of the box.

9. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Unity is portable to all major consoles for minimal cost, which is WHY so many indies are flocking to it. Build the game once, and publish to a bunch of platforms easily.

It also comes with a comprehensive set of tools, and is just affordable :)

10. Just had a good look through the Unity website and looked at a lot of the game trailers. It looks like it does the lot, but I'm wondering what modeling software some of the game developers may have used for the objects and especially the avatars/characters.

11. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Probably Maya and or 3D Studio. I am not that into the whole graphics thing, but IIRC Unity supports models from most of the popular tools out there.

If you want, I can ask :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Great, thanks for the info. If you could find that out for me, that'd be really appreciated! :)

13. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I'll toss the thread out to the folks at Unity when I get into the office next week (provided I can find the time, that is - I have a week filled with workshops and meetings :().

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. narfi

narfi Lost

I know I was able to take models from blender into unity, but their guides and forums have alot of info, its really easy to get started with, and the basics of the scripting was pretty easy to learn as well. (if you cant find what your trying to do in the unity forums/guides just google jscript and you will find the solution)

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. OK, but don't go out of your way if it drops a spanner in the works, I'm fairly happy it is something like Max or Maya, but just wasn't sure.

16. OK, thanks for that. I tried blender a few months back but couldn't quite get he hang of the interface, but finding 3ds a bit easier now... I'll certainly download the free version of Unity and see how I find it, it must be easier than CE.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.