New to the whole space thing - need advice

Discussion in 'Entropia Space' started by Lykke TheNun, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Lykke TheNun

Lykke TheNun Lootius bless you all!

I have never been to space and the whole 'looting' pvp thing ticks me off BUT nevertheless I want to be able to visit other planets as I use to do through TPs.

I have tried to read the different threads and watched the videos, but don't feel more secure about it all. Actually I feel a little stupid lol ...

Anyway, my question is if you can use ALL kind of space ships/vehicles in space? If I have a small vtol?

From where do I enter space?

What is needed on my spaceship to go there?

What are the expenses?

Can you see if there are ppl/ships around you as 'usually'?

Do you 'fly' normally around or do you 'warp'?

Can a tp chip be used :P (I guess I know that answer but would be cool)

If you get shot, what happens and where do you end up?

...and what other things you might find useful.

Please try not to just link me to some other place UNLESS that thread is easy to understand lol.

Thanks

2. Tass

Tass Administrator

I think it's not too hard to understand: Space#Official Space Guide

3. Lykke TheNun

Still leave questions. I don't see they say where you end up when dieing. Do you end up at the spacestations or?

And what is a thruster, how do you attach it - does it work only one time or can you use it for several trips? Is it expensive?

Other than that - nice wiki page :D

4. Dalas

Dalas ANF Master & "Death Limited" Healer

I recently picked up a Space Thruster (L) for 36 ped. They're pretty cheap these days! It will last you 49 uses (one use each per entry and exit from the atmosphere of a planet). Ok, Freja just looked at Auction and someone has literally cleaned the auction of them!

You attach it just like an amp to a gun; drag and drop onto your VTOL in inventory. Yes your Sleipnir Mk1 will be fine in space, but this is the slowest space-ready vehicle, so don't expect to out-run a Quad-Wing Interceptor anytime soon! :D

When you die, you end up at the nearest available revive, whether that be a mothership you happen to be on the Guest List for, or on a Space Station (can be either belonging to a planet or a Neutral one). On a Planet Space Station (e.g. Calypso Space Station - often abbreviated "CSS") you can TP directly down to the planet for 7 ped OR hop in your VTOL and fly directly into the atmosphere, which you are then charged 2 ped plus Thruster decay for, so that ends up cheaper. The danger is that between the Space Station and planet is a thin strip of PvP, which pirates often patrol.

To get to space, you simply get in your VTOL with thruster attached and fly directly up :)

My recommendation for getting safely into the Space scene is to get involved with a Mothership as a repair person or a gunner (repair is cheaper and great for skilling and getting used to being in space).

Remember not to take lootable stuff with you (same rules as lootable PvP planetside) and enjoy the ride!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lykke TheNun

That's exactly what I needed, Dalas, thanks! May we quote you in our wiki? :D

6. Tass

Tass Administrator

Why don't we just create our own basic space guide?

Is there a distances/cost chart already?

7. Dalas

Of course, if it fits in the wiki you're welcome to it :)

Some more advice to you though: When you get involved with a Mothership, you may easily be able to get rides to and from other planets, so it can be a cheap way to start out.

Also, you don't get to see outside while in a Mothership, so if you want to get a feel for floating through space, take a gunner's seat or co-pilot.

8. Dalas

Nice idea Tass. I'll try to glean some info from frequent flyer friends.

9. Tass

Tass Administrator

Ok, some questions:

- You can tp down to a planet from its SS for 7 PED but not from a planet up to its SS, right?
    - Is thruster decay a one-time event happening when entering space or does it decay continously?
    - If the thruster decays continously, does it decay in space too or only in the atmosphere?
    - If you have a thruster, it's cheapest to just travel planet to planet, right?
    - What about fuel consumption in space? Is it the same per AU than it is on planet per km?

That's for the start, there might be more. ;)

And then I think the neutral space stations are just placeholders for future planet's SS.

10. narfi

narfi Lost

I hope you are wrong, that would be pretty booring.
    I hope that space expands as new planets arrive.

narfi

11. Doubt it, although from the map the planets appear to be partially inside the current area of space they are not. You land on the planet when you reach the server boundary so in theory other planets would also be on the edge of boundaries otherwise we would end up with huge rocks floating around in space to try and travel around, heck Calypso as it is wouldn't even fit in space if it was kept to scale.

12. Dalas

13. Tass

Tass Administrator

14. Tass

Tass Administrator

15. Guys the tables are still empty...

16. Calypso's ss is full of pirates. Other than that most other planets are not too bad most of the time. Howling Mine's terminals didn't work at all last time I was there... which might be a problem if someone goes up there without repair tool or fuel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Didn't someone say decay occurs on the enter AND exit of an atmosphere? Would be good to be clear on this.

Incidentally if anyone is interested in my joystick software, let me know.

18. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Another small one, I seem to remember that, in space, when you lose your ship, it ends up back in your inventory instead of storage when you do a "recall vehicles"

19. Correct.

20. Correct

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.