Next Island article in the EntropiaTimes

Discussion in 'EntropiaTimes' started by NotAdmin, Sep 12, 2010.

1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

So, what does everybody think about the article regarding Next Island? What stood out to me is the October release, the 40 PED travel fee apparently dictated by MindArk, Ancient Greece as a starting location, and the iPhone game that will be coming with it :clap:

2. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

with all this 'work' I haven't had the time to read it yet

3. RAZER

Ok red it and this was what stood out for me:

...as we are creating a gateway for new users to play while Next Island is downloaded.
    So, this means you can already play the game while the rest is downloading. So no need to wait for the 5 GB of data to come to your PC, this is great, because the 5GB download is a bit of a scare for some people

David and his Next Island team seem to be gearing up for a mass marketing blitz
    He also tells us it will be targeting the US mostly in the beginning, but I wonder what we will see

4. MindStar9

MindStar9 Floating in Space

The "prequel" is the Next Island: Origins backstory that will be available on iPhone and iPad that gives us a path from the beginning to the point of stepping into the Next Island environment.

The initial mass marketing blitz will be primarily focused in the United States, and then will expand to the Hispanic communities in South America, because apparently, this is something that they are familiar with. However, David told me that they will eventually go global, but he couldn't pinpoint a time-frame right now.

5. Great job guys good questions asked. Next Island if it is what it says it's going to be really sounds like it will be home for me. I have been playing mostly farmville for two reasons. One I can just play 5-30 min a day or none. Two i need a new video card and the market value of all my equipment has dropped less then half of what i payed for it.

So i'm hoping Next Island is really made for casual gamers. I find with Entropia the way it is now i can't play for just 5-30 min or else i'm just throwing money away in a hurry. I feel i gotta play for at least 2hrs to just have a chance at not loosing more then 50%.

6. Interesting article. I can't put much faith in "next month" because I've heard it too many times.

7. I for one really liked the fact that there seems to have been some brainstorming behind the whole project, with an EU first: actual advertisement!

The iprequel is an amazing idea too, will certainly open up things to more consumers, maybe even intriguing them enough to actually come and visit.

My only fear is that MA's usual slowness will result in the game having just the basic mechanics that we're used to in EU...

8. One thing with the iphone teaser app is that a big chunk of iphone users are macheads. Imagine their dissapointment when they're lured in with the teaser app only to find out the main attraction won't run on their fruity computation device.

It's still a good approach, and I hope they also think about the android and win mobile crowd with this teaser approach.

9. We run EU on a Mac Mini at my house. It runs pretty nicely, on hi res graphics at about 40 FPS. Most iPhone users arent Macheads, for the record. Many iPhone users are business customers (like myself) who work in a PC environment. Apple just happens to give lucrative discounts to nonprofits, educational institutions, and the like. Lots of users got suckered into the product when AT&T was the only carrier and the iPhone was the only device of its kind. It uses iTunes as its synchronization software, which while annoying also runs on a PC.

10. Yes, and I kick iTunes & bonjour off of PCs on my network on a weekly basis. Why pre-existing policy here says that sales people get admin rights on their PCs is beyond me.
    Oh well, it keeps me busy.

As for your running EU on your mac, what third party shims are you using to accomplish that? It's certainly not running on the Mac OS.

11. Attached Files:

12. MindStar9

Thanks for sharing Hon ... is the app ready to download and play? ... or is this just a preview of what's to come?

13. Intriguing. :-)

14. No idea, just found the link to the image in Erik Reynolds' twitter

here is the link: Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/n872fhj - Uploaded by buzzspinner

15. MindStar9

16. RAZER

now lets try and figure out what that 'card' is telling us?

this is what they got over at EF

17. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

That's not a card. It's an iPad ;)

18. RAZER

I know, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the game on the ipod/ipad was a card game to learn more about the creatures and items on Next Island

19. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

Your confusing that with planet cyrene. CKi are doing a card game on iphone to learn more about the creatures. Check the planet cyrene facebook page ;)

20. *sigh* it's a shame youtube kills all the "Hitler Responds to..." videos. EU could provide some opportunities for some major laughs with the NI time travel angle. :)

"Everyone that wants McCormick to make funny videos of me, leave now!"

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.