Planet Cyrene: Now I want to go to Cryene... seriously

Discussion in 'Planet Cyrene' started by Wistrel, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

• Like Like x 1
  2. San

San

I was there before the Big Crunch. It was gorgeous. Was considering to make it my home when it was pulled abruptly and all content crammed into one server. I didn't quite get over that, but it was clearly said that everything was in beta and they are preparing for a "hard launch". This is now already delayed and nobody knows how much longer it takes, but that's to be expected, isn't it ;) Meanwhile, mobs and missions and storylines remain interesting if you don't mind the sense of expectation that it will get its proper space again an unknown date in the future.

The devs are very nice, communicative and approachable through the forum. Bugs and screw-ups keep happening but they scramble to make it right. Some issues about communication between PP and MA to the extent of getting contradictory statements make you scratch your head sometimes but the community remains largely positive. It seems credible that something backs them up which is bigger than you can SEE, because they can't be making money and won't for another while. There must be a motivation to keep this thing afloat.

3. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Interesting... I always got the impression it was going to be a "Big Thing" for CKI then they simply cut the project presumably deciding that MMO's were a fad not for them after all. I feel they keep it going on a skeleton crew with the least committed financial resource (only one server area). For a big company they might as well do so I guess if it isn't costing too much. Liking having a finger in a pie should they ever want to use it.

Hard launch is a myth. I don't think it will ever happen
    Wistrel

4. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

I still have faith in the Cyrene team. But they are waiting for the Mech system to be implemented by MindArk. You know, the company that re-allocated a crapload of resources to their new mobile fail and simply leaves their partners hanging.

5. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

They did? For definite? Also I don't buy that reason. If mech was really that important couldn't they hire a developer to work on it for MA? No, it seems more likely they just downsized the project into a small pot that, because they are big, they can afford to keep on running.

How many people actually work on Cyrene these days? Is it just Kris?

6. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

My god... they are posting screen grabs from the development software showing bugs being fixed.... I must have arrived in another reality...

7. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

The Mech system is crucial for Cyrene, though. MA just cannot seem to get their heads out of their ass. I believe the "playing as a MOB" was a step towards a mech system, but what do I know?

And seeing they are missing a vital piece, the team is working on a bunch of other projects, (undoubtedly with more capable partners).

8. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

You'll have to PM me if you know something about how crucial it is... I mean you have to see it from my (know nothing) perspective. It just seems like a "nice to have" for me. Also, as you say, the creature control pills should work fine for a Mech I'd imagine? Just replace the mob model with a mech surely?

I'm probably missing something but as I said, I don't know the Cyrene plans.

Wistrel

9. San

San

http://cyreneforum.com/threads/lets-get-the-bug-thread-started.7643/page-3#post-27126

Yes. I am suitably determined to reward such planet partners. Be it visibly a work-in-progress or for other reasons less than perfect, it's the spirit.

Mechs -- I've seen some early artwork, too, but I don't get why anyone would set their heart on something before it's realized only to get disgruntled when it's not. Big software projects are like that, you toss ideas and maybe someone picks them up for a bit, but things get changed or abandoned all the time. Bad is to start selling prematurely or on mutable promises. Buyer beware.

Having seen Cyrene before the Big Crunch, I don't think the planet absolutely depends on it. Arkadia has a Mech mob now which only appears during events. It is imaginable that this in connection with the recent creature control system brings about what was conceived back then, if they manage to get them together and the glacier moves to approve it. But still the competition has set the bar, how would you ever catch up? Same as with space. Whenever I want these settings, I just go there instead. (Trying to get MWO installed again, but it keeps hanging at about 15 GB downloaded... duh. Nehmind, nobody's perfect.)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.