Ouch! When is enough enough (Club Calypto related)

Discussion in 'Entropia Community' started by Magyar, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I took a break from actually playing EU for about 10 days not so long ago. These types of things happen when you work in IT and stare at multiple monitors in a dark room for hours on end each day. Your eyes get square, your butt gets sore, and your muscles start whispering things to you like "lazy ass, how bout you do some yard work or go to the beach?" Eventually you either listen or you grow fat and listless as the onset of depression turns into a full blown medical case.

When I decided a short respite was in order the Calypto drama had died down. I didnt figure it was gone. That's wishful thinking. But it had gone back to ingame stuff, minor ingame stuff, as the current Krakatoa of Sweat Camp that is all the drama surrounding this station spent its vital energies. Sure the landscape was still smoldering, and parts of sweat camp smelled bad. But we're used to that. Its a swamp filled with combibo poo and the last bowel purgings of thousands upon thousands of dead newbies. My thought on the matter was that those who were involved, actually involved, would find a way to discuss it and at least reach some sort of civil arrangement to stay the f--- out of each others way.

But it was not to be, as is evidenced by a few popular discussions over at Entropia Forum.

Now before everyone goes off on me for stirring the pot again and attacking their friends, thats not what this is about. Yes I think these people need to leave him the f--- alone. Its obvious that a pack mentality has taken over and like a bunch of hyena, once an animal separates itself from the herd the hunt is on, and it wont stop. Except that it needs to. This isnt about survival. Its about sheer human brutality. I also think that Calypto needs to stop. It just isnt fun anymore. A defense was made, and it was a good one. Why continue? Which brings me to my point?

When is enough enough? In boxing you have rules. 9 rounds. 3 minutes each. You can tap out, last the entire 9 rounds, or convulse on the floor. These rules are there to ensure everyones safety, and minimalize casualties. Unfortunately on the internet there are no rules. Sure, people can eventually apologize, make nice with each other, and move on, but most of the time the sad truth is they dont.

Why?

Because the only thing that matters on the internet is Ego. Closely entwined with Ego unfortunately are the sisters Pride and Power. Attack a persons pride or power, and the Ego steps in, already 100% invested. Ego doesnt care about anyone else but itself and whats good for it. Pride tells Ego "Baby, you are so smart. You can do anything." At the same time Power tells Ego "Honey dont let them push you around. You are better than them and you can show them."

This is simplified, but typical of the human mindset. Even in our day to day interactions we feel this way. We just mitigate it with other soothing voices like Self Preservation, Financial Ruin, and Broken Nose. These voices remind us that what we may be about to do could lead to personal discomfort. Personal discomfort is what we generally use to define what is stupid and what is not. Its also what people use as a gauge to see whether youve had enough of a fight.

The internet unfortunately blurs these responses. The mind is NEVER uncomfortable. Its always working, never tires, and has only a very limited capacity to show pain. Unfortunately that limited ability is either misunderstood by others as a continued desire to fight, or is completely understood as a sign of pain, and like a wild animal the psyche moves in for the virtual kill. I tend to subscribe to the latter of the two outlooks, but I feel its fair to have the former at least be represented as a possiblility.

The question is, as a community how does this impact us? How long do we let something like this go on before it starts to hurt us. Already the lies spread by the initial foray into the internet have reached more ears than not. The poisons there forever taint the community. The implications of the effectiveness of the Sherlock Holmes scheme essentially tell us all that it is OK now to use this tactic in personal warfare with another individual in the Entropia Universe. Anyone who thinks this is the last time, or most serious time this type of thing will occur here is deluding themselves. Attacks like this will now continue, and they will be more frequent and more outlandish.

I fear that the fate of Club Calypto is already a foregone conclusion. It disappoints me because the effort does bring something that I feel new players need in droves. Unfortunately for us, not enough people stepped forward to tell their friends enough was enough, and those that did were not successful in making their points clear (myself included).

I feel as a community we need to collectively decide when enough is enough, and simply cease the harassment. Clear victor or not, after a certain point there is no possibility of anybody winning. Instead everyone loses and both pugilists and audience end up leaving somehow lessened by the experience.

Yes, I am talking about those who keep posting this trash on EF, and keep responding to it. Your posts do not help anyone. They dont clear anything up. They dont even make Calypto feel bad anymore. At this point its just masturbation of the ego --- YOUR ego, not his.

Yes I am also talking about Calypto, who does not seem to know when his point has been made, and has as a result brought this conflict to a height of absurdity.

I write this not for anyone in particular, but for everyone in Entropia. This is not the last time events like this will happen. It is our choice, all of our choices whether we continue to feed this type of trash mentality or let it wither and die once equal representation has occurred.

I have been gaming online for 13 years. Conflicts are common. The drama online is sometimes fun. Never have I seen drama this bad. Ive played all the top PvP MMORPG's. Never have I seen hate this intense. Ive participated in massive guild betrayals where real property was lost (property that could have been sold on Ebay for tens of thousands). Never have I seen lies so eagerly spread and accepted.

Over the past 3 days the Entropia community has thoroughly disgusted me over this matter, to the point where I feel some shame being a part of it.

I post this on EP because its the only place where it wont get spammed all to hell, and where folks might actually consider whats been said and what the implications are.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MindStar9

MindStar9 Floating in Space

Let me be the first to say ... that your post is constructive and brilliantly written Magyar. I am an incredible fan of not only the intellect and maturity level at which you write, but of your writing style as a whole. You bring a fascinating dynamic to how you express your views, which for me, are very thought provoking. I feel that despite your personal views surrounding the latest (and continued) drama regarding the cited topic, your post content is presented in a way that appeals to the benefit of all regarding enough is enough.

I choose no sides in all of this, as I have not followed every single ping-pong post that seemed to be a one-upmanship contest with mudslinging as the main event. However, I've seen enough to know that I agree with your inquiry as to when is enough enough. We have witnessed that each new thread at EF has ultimately ended in a train wreck, and has served no viable purpose whatsoever, other than a breeding ground for yet more drama and mudslinging with he said/she said content.

I fully agree with your assessment ... and it's time to end it ... enough damage has been done already as it is. I also 100% agree with your content about the Ego, and something extensively discussed in my classes, because it erects barriers that prevent a person from being the most effective they can be. When Ego is in play, no one is listening at that point, and each person is inside with their own internal dialogue preparing a response to what they think they're hearing or reading. Communication is so personally subjective.

Let's get back to fun, enjoying ourselves, and helping our newbies become better Calypso citizens ... what's better than that! :bigsmile:

3. For once I think you talk alot of sence, but it does seem that more & more ppl have issues with him don't it. Maybe you see it for yourself soon

Best Wishies

Spongey

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sionkiewicz

Sionkiewicz One of those Americans

Agree with the statements in here but would like to add that maybe we should lock this thread before it becomes a maelstrom of negativity as seen on EF?

The statement has been made and most will take it for what it is. A plea for civility..

The issue is that some will use this as a platform to "stroke their Egos." and continue here what was started there.

My two cents...

• Like Like x 1
  5. MindStar9

I can appreciate this sentiment for sure, especially in light of what occurred at EF the past couple/few days, and the fact that there was already an attempt made here earlier from a person who created a second account at EF to post a wall of text with chat log content which caused not only the thread to be thrown in the garbage, but the account deleted as well. The Admins have already taken care of things regarding the transfer of the content of that thread here, and in the past, have made it clear that they don't want this kind of drama to be brought here from EF.

In light of there seemingly being a somewhat meeting of the minds (for now anyway) by certain parties involved in the drama, perhaps consideration might be given by the Admins to close this thread ... or not, and deal with whatever may come along. I know they don't like closing or locking threads, so as long as this thread is quiet or civil, perhaps it could be left alone too. Their call of course, and I would support whatever the decision would be.

Let's hope there's no more disruption in this respect, and we can get on with the good stuff that's about to happen up in here ... not that it isn't good already :bigsmile: ... just more exCITING stuff. :clap:

6. Lykke TheNun

Lykke TheNun Lootius bless you all!

I have been watching threads on EF - and indeed, things wen't over the edge. We chose to close some threads here regarding the same matter. And even by using several alt-accounts - then of course we take action.

As MindStar said, some might think this is the place to dump things which are not allowed on EF, but we're not the garbage bin of other forums closed or removed threads, and we too have rules.

As we also said before we have some looser rules here regarding freedom of speach, but not when it comes to sertain behaviour.

I have confindent that we can discuss topics on EP without being childish, and with that in mind I will leave this open a little longer. I have also seen that Calypso appologized to people on EF and agreed to join the Radio show (correct me if I'm wrong?) - and this might also solve things automaticly.

If this thread, however, turns out to be yet another uncivilized flame war, it will be locked too.

7. GeorgeSkywalker

GeorgeSkywalker Explorer

For me it's enough, to the extent that I'm going to stop using EF on a daily basis. Perhaps not use it at all...

The clubcalypto nonesense and the other thread on there about an arabic planet partner had such deplorable responses that it really doesn't make any sense even visiting that forum anymore.

So I'll stick to this one and hopefully won't miss any important news. Although I was waning off this forum as well due to the colour scheme and layout which on my widescreen monitor I find horrendous to read. That's just my personal opinion based on likes/dislikes though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lykke TheNun

Lykke TheNun Lootius bless you all!

Maybe there is a way to solve this for you though :) quite easy also. You go down to the bottom of the page and footer drop down you choose vB4 Default Style. Perhaps this one will be better on your screen? :)

9. MindStar9

Last I heard, FishFace canceled the radio show in light of the apologies and a seeming meeting of the minds, so I don't think that is still taking place.

To Ace ... hang in here my friend, because we are doing our best to keep up with the news, and I will be actively working toward building the EP Media Center team to be as awesome as our E-Team staff as soon as our current (special) project is ready to be revealed to the community ... which is pretty soon. :bigsmile:

The goal is to have enough Media Team staff to be able to cover everything we need to cover within our universe, and keep the information and content fresh and revolving, along with the in-game projects we will be producing as well.

We have some good stuff coming up, and I hope you get your aesthetics worked out soon. ;)

10. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Oooh. Georgie Peorgie will be my "default skin" guinnea pig then :D Actually, I am aware there's perhaps a few minor issues that need addressing in that skin, but yeah, it's the opposite of this skin, and despite it being standard, I think it's a nice crisp look, that (as opposed to the darker one) would be something more suitable for while on the job.

11. Its true that Fishface canceled the show. I talked to him a bit about it last night. Im also going to remove some names from the post made on my forum. Some users have expressed sensitivities and I feel that the sensitivitiy here detracts from the actual point I was making with my thread enough that removal of names and replacing them with neutral pronouns where applicable is in everyones best interest. I'll probably do that later on today, or tomorrow depending on meetings and what not that I have happening later this afternoon that are going to suck up my idle time!

12. Fish Face felt as tho Any issues we would discuss had been resolved. WE agreed and decided to Keep a cordial relationship with each other.
    Clubcalypto.com radio is an equal opportunity station as it pertains to sex.. We believe that all folks should never let sex get in the way of the game whether they be male or female...........

13. Yeah ...... uh hu ....... yeah ...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Oh I heard other things ... hmmmm

15. LOLOL...I have forgiven U Faye !!!!!!!!! I buried my hatchet ( shallow hole ill admit ) But buried !!!

16. Sure you do ... that makes it the 1,2,3 , 4th time now .. like i said in the other threads Time will tell :-)

17. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Let's keep things civil in here, please...

18. *navigates to User CP*
    *clicks Edit Ignore List*
    *adds Faye*

The world is a much better place.

*breathes a sigh of relief*

Sorry, Im just done with this particular individual. Her posts only make me angry.

19. best way to let things calm down is to post another thread about it i guess
    on the other hand, some people always gotta have the last word
    from EF to the radio forum, now to here
    wonder where we gonna end :)

20. Hopefully it ends very soon. This matter was virtually dead from my personal perspective. A few lingering forum threads that time would bury and that would hold little value for anyone other than an archivist to thumb through were all that was left. I cant speak for everyone, but it seemed to me that the radio broadcasts had ceased to be inflammatory (whether in response or otherwise). Given the free spirited nature of Calypto's show that alone said enough.

Even the article on my site is quickly moving past front page status as more current news replaces it. Edits were made in order to be accommodating to the community as a whole, with the hope being that any readers would be left to make up their own minds with greater ease, for those who were interested. The entire thing though was and hopefully still is fading into obscurity.

This I think accomplishes the greater community goal here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.