Planet PostModerna - Q&A with the Founder

Discussion in 'PostModerna' started by NotAdmin, Oct 26, 2009.

1. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

As you might know, there's a project in the working by the name of Planet PostModerna. Unlike the other planets, Planet PostModerna seems to be unique in that it is not being run by a major company, but rather by a small group or private organisation, and entirely funded by means of donations and sponsorships.

We have found the initiator of the project willing to answer questions you might have. The way we'll do it will be very similar to the way the interview with NEVERDIE was conducted, in that we give you an opportunity to list questions, we'll then collect them, structure and/or rewrite them slightly (without losing the integrity of the question), and send it off to Alan.

Upon receiving the answers, we again set off to rewrite a few things, in an attempt to ensure a properly flowing story. After final agreement, the interview will then be posted.

So let's hear whatever it is you're dying to find out about Planet PostModerna.

Their website is here:

http://www.planet-postmoderna.com/

Their development blog is here:

http://blog.planet-postmoderna.com/

2. Stave

Stave Guest

Questions for the proprietors of Planet PostModerna?

• what will be the name of the new planet?
    • will there be 1 or more continents?
    • what will be the name of the continent(s)?
    • Is there any plans for a Quest System?

3. Shadowsong

Shadowsong Collateral Damage

Could they please elaborate a bit on their RL/Virtual trading and advertising plans. It seems clear from their site that this will be an underpinning of the planetary economy, so it would be interesting to know if there are confirmed advertisers, or how they plan to approach them.

The RL tourism connection is also very interesting, are they planning to have "user designed" areas to mirror real-world locations, like virtual showcases as landareas?

4. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

Here's some questions I'd like to add:

- How did you find out about MindArk / Entropia Universe? Have you played the game yourself, and if so, for how long, and in what capacity (hunter/miner/crafter)?

- Did Planet PostModerna already start negotiations with MindArk about using their platform for it? If so, anything worth sharing with potential other interested parties? (I, for one, would be interested in hearing how MA would react to an indie request such as this).

- On your blog, you write that the VastPark platform used for the showcase "world" recently was abandoned in favour of Multiverse. Could you elaborate on why you fellt this was the neccessary thing to do?

- Your business plan states you want to try and achieve a collective of advertisment partners, investors, and donators. What amount of money do you hope to raise, what's the current progress on it, and what would be the minimum amount you'd consider accepting?

- Conceptually, you have some screenshots and sketches up on the website (did we see a building possibly inspired by Star Wars?). Has actual art-development started? If so, how many people are working on it, and how? (I.e. do you currently employ someone, or do you hire freelancers whenever you have a chunk of cash ready).

- Would you be interested in a partnership where we advertise your world from our site, with perhaps an opportunity for some of our users to win, say, a beta account when things become more developed?

- Is there anything we can do to help you and your project out in any way?

5. jim_T

jim_T Disturbed veteran

I got a good question for them...

1. Why should I visit this planet? (especially since it's gonna be postmodern?! seriously I hope thats just a working title coz it's like...wth??) :coffee:

6. Questions for the proprietors of Planet PostModerna?

Hello Entropia Planets Family,

I look forward to reading everyone's comments and answering your questions as best as I can. So keep em coming. :)

Best,

A

7. Questions for the proprietors of Planet PostModerna?

I'm not sure if this has been asked elsewhere...

What kind of competition (if any) will there be between planets ?

Will PostModerna aim to have the majority of Entropias player base playing on their planet ? If so, how do you plan to compete against the current Planet Calypso?

Prior to creation of PostModerna, were you in anyway in contact with MindArk? Or did you seek out MindArk, with ideas allready in mind?

As a community we have estimated a current playerbase of between 12,000 - 15,000 .. A farsight short of the 800,000 some may be led to belive, how do you plan to increase this playerbase?

Planet Calypso is using CryEngine2 .. I dont quite understand what Multiverse is? Will this mean PostModerna will have different graphics engine? Or will it run on CE2?

8. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

If I understood correctly (feel free to correct me, Flapman), MultiVerse is a 3D development environment that is free to use (provided you do not charge players/clients for it). The basic idea of Planet PostModerna using it is to develop a sort of prototype world in there to have something to show potential investors.

9. Questions for the proprietors of Planet PostModerna?

I was wondering if you could tell us about the team working on it. By the way, how far will the planet be from Calypso in light years? will it orbit it's sun like calypso or bounce up and down or...?

J.

10. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

We're going to make a slight change to the thread, if everybody doesn't mind.

Alan, aka Flapman, will be answering your questions directly in this thread as they appear (or maybe batch by batch), rather than doing a one-time interview and leaving it at that. This will give you the opportunity to interact more closely, and to ask follow-up questions in case you are intrigued by a specific reply.

Therefore, we'll be changing the title of the thread to Planet PostModerna - Q&A with the Founder instead.

11. EntropiaPlanets presents: Q&A with Planet PostModerna founder

Edit: I posted the questions again in the other thread, dunno why it was moved here again ? Whats the other thread for ?

12. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

EntropiaPlanets presents: Q&A with Planet PostModerna founder

Hey, SevvyS. Sorry about that. I wasn't sure whether you did post the questions here or not, and figured that in order for Alan to see them, to keep all questions confined to this single thread here. You also beat me to actually putting in the message asking to post questions in here.

The other thread mainly is meant as a news announcement for the front page, to direct people to this thread. Maybe I should lock it, but I figured it'd be nice to have it open so people could chuck in a comment that wasn't a question.

13. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Welcome Flapman and I hope you won't be scared of all the questions coming at you and I will be thinking of some for sure.

Looks like we are the semi-official forum for Planet PostModerna now :yay::yay:. One planet down a few others to go :)

[edit]
    That brings me to my first question: "will your planet have an official forum?"
    Don't think I can handle another one, spend more time in forums than in game these days.
    [edit/]

14. Hello all,

I just wanted to let you all know that I will take a look at these questions over the weekend and start to answer them one by one. If I can get to them before then I will.

Truth being my daughter is excited to host her very first Halloween party so needless-to-say it is taking a lot of our time with prep and fills a lot of my free evening time. :)

I appreciate the feedback so far. Lot's of good questions and comments and I have answers for all of you.

Stay tuned. Have a great rest of the week.

Flap

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lykke TheNun

Lykke TheNun Lootius bless you all!

Hey Flapman :)

Thank you for the heads up! Just take your time (RL comes first, it's just a game etc :whistle: ).

We look forward to see your replies on all the exciting things on Planet PostModerna!

Hope your daughter will have a blast of a party (are you going to be the scary ghost behind the front door?? Pictures? :D)

:)

16. RAZER

thanx for the info and have a good Halloween, dont scare the kids to much OK.

I also wanna thank you for sharing this kind of info with us, I mean, I know you for a week now and know more about you then I do about Marco and I know him for about 5 years now. Makes you feel more human in a way :). This already feels like we are gonna have a good time together ... uh... well...you know what I mean :D. Keep up the good communication.

17. Lykke TheNun

Around the fireplace?

Sorry, couldn't resist :D carry on the good work ;)

(please, don't hate me...)

18. RAZER

Already did, so no harm done :bigsmile:

19. Lykke TheNun

Ah good :) that means I can do whatever without even thinking about it :D

20. Questions for the proprietors of Planet PostModerna?

Hello Stave,

Let me answer your questions.

• what will be the name of the new planet?
    Planet Postmoderna: The name comes from the company that discovered it, New Worlds Virtual Entertainment and Adventures. The corporation specializes in Virtual Environments and Technology, thus the foundation of Postmodernism--which is basically copies.

Jean Baudrillard: Simulacra and Simulation - reality disappears underneath the interchangeability of signs​
    • will there be 1 or more continents?
    This Planet Concept is in development from day one which includes everything that is discovered or created. The main story will start on one continent. What happens beyond that must be discovered through experiencing the story line. So answer to your question, you will just have to wait and find out. :)
    • what will be the name of the continent(s)?
    Currently in the starting part of the story line it has no name.
    • Is there any plans for a Quest System?
    This is my most favorite part and something greatly lacking in the current Entropia System. Granted Planet Calypso is trying to implement its use much better.

Postmoderna is built fully on an immersive story-based environment. Everything that happens is based on the Planet Postmoderna storyline and the quests that pull you into it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.