Playing EU on Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by -ALFI-, Sep 11, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Hello,
    I'm new here and not playing EU yet, I need to know if it can work on Windows Vista. The EU website says Vista is not supported yet but I read a review suggesting it should work on Vista using XP compatibility mode. Is anyone else playing EU on a Vista machine?

2. I've certainly tried it and I didn't have any problems, but the machine wasn't really powerful enough to use it regularly. Others have reported problems though.

Just give it a go and see what happens. If it works, great. If not, MA just won't support you.

Maybe someone else on here is actively using Vista?

Welcome to EU Chronicle btw!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thanks to VU9, our laptop became unusable for EU, so we eventually gave up and bought another.
    Of course it's damn hard to buy a new machine now that doesn't come with Vista, which has DirectX 10 pre-installed.
    MA do not support Windows Vista, which leaves their target installed base now on a very thin segment of Windows XP machines with upgraded graphics cards.

So, I had to go through the process of trying to get EU working on our new Vista laptop.

Upon starting the client loader, it was checking for directX 9.0c, and when it could not find it, it was starting up dxwebsetup.exe to try to install it.

This fails and logs an error into the DXerror.log

The fix is to obtain the DirectX 9.0c redistributable package and install it. Yes - even though you have directX 10.

EU seems to then work ok following this.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Just in case I do decide to run out and get another pc, thanks for that tip will come in handy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Just an aside - EU will not update unless you run the ClientLoader as Administrator. Right-click on the EU icon and select 'run as administrator'.

Alternatively, if you know what you're doing, alter the rights on all of the related objects, registry etc. so they do now require administrator rights to alter, then the update will work fine every time, whether you're an admin or not.

• Like Like x 7
  6. That is perfectly right. Running the clientloader as administrator works without any problems to me. On my Vista machine it runs like hell, but I think only because the graphic card inside which needs its own atomic power plant:D (Nvidia Quadro FX 4800).
    and you can configure the shortcut to run it every time as administrator, so you do not have to deal with the registry (which is always risky... :( )
    also if you like to run a tool like PE-ASS you have to run it as administrator.

• Like Like x 7
  7. I wonder why MA still doen't support Vista? I understood this when Vista was very new, but it's now been around for some time already, so this is odd. What about all the new participants that the new planets will need to attract? They will have to have XP as well to be officially supported...

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.