SpatialOS Tech Demo looks better than Entropia?

Discussion in 'Other games and gaming' started by Wistrel, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

Came accross this on my travels. It looks great. Alas it is only a "tech demo" and isn't "released". Looks better than Entropia though... how many symultaneous players do we think Entropia has again? And how big is Entropia land mass? (I'm sure we estimated once but I forget)

OK context was, while looking for alternatives to Entropia #controlSystemRefugee I came across a game called Project Genom (I'm all about the "Project something of other" games it seems). It looked pretty cool but a bit of investigation revealed the game never made it out of alpha and seemed to have stalled. Some more investigation revealed it had gone from Steam downloads due to some sort of spat between a freelance programmer and the dev company. TL;DR programmer didn't get paid their dues so made a copyright infringement claim to steam. Rumour is now that Project Genom is trying to re-write to use Spatial OS.

But yeh... when you look at this thing... I mean... I've not read enough yet but it almost looks like they are making a thing where you can go "hey give me epic jungle landscape thingy and ability for a lot of players to run about and shoot stuff plus a whole bunch of other mechanics".

I'm wondering what this means for the future of 3D game development. Maybe we are heading into a world now where you can almost start with landscape and basic movement/interaction mechanics, and "all" you need to do is start gardening. i.e. you plonk your content in (stuff to do, NPCs, building etc) in the jungle, clearing space where you need to. Much like IRL.

I dunno, but it sure looks interesting

Wistrel

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wistrel

Wistrel Kick Ass Elf

So I reading on Spatial OS and they mention this game uses it... so I look up the game... and find it is about to shut down... :'( I feel like I'm walking a road at the moment where every cool looking building I encounter is a burnt out shack or actually on fire

• Like Like x 1
  3. narfi

narfi Lost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.