The addition of discoverable Derelict Ships to interplanetary Space

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by I-o-I, Oct 23, 2013.

1. DERELICTS: Ships lost out in space, possibly abandoned or out of fuel, or life support, or power, left a drift. Long dead or newly inhabited but non-functional.
    Scanable, Scavenge for loot, salvageable for scrap metals or potentially habitable. Be it by pirates eager for their next ambush or "hideout"; Lost NPC crews set a drift, or a new nest parasitic invaders. Even phantasmal hunts for living energy based life forms, running amok with circuits and power cables. The possibilities for the developers to show off their creativity is great.

Could be used as its own instance for NPC interactions or temporary PVP playground to which the winners goes the spoils. (A lame pirate voice keeps creeping into my head each time I type like that. It's damn irritating yet I can't help it.... stupid pirates and their popculture revivals.)
    Imagine pirate factions fighting amongst themselves, or launching "interceptionary" attacks on non warp convoys. It's about time Calypso gets its planetary laser defenses up to allow freedom of movement by travelers and traders exiting its orbit. (sick of orbit camping pirates, has no place in the game and is not a good eco sink for mind ark to allow such harassment to persist.) And where is Arkadia's naval fleet? wouldn't it span enough of the planet to shoot down or even hunt said orbit campers?

The idea is to get Pirates away from camping outside of planetary orbits and out into deep space where they belong. Spread out the population for a livelier feel. At the same time give legit treasure hunters and space explorers something worth while to do.

The features could easily be added in piecemeal chunks. Rather than one whole big update.
    Nice to eventually get lighting effects and use of various light sources like flashlights (Hand held & weapon attachments) and flares. Unsealable and sealable doors. Either by terminal switch if power is on and available, or power tools when it isn't.

It's all something to think about. The main key is to get pirates busy and out of orbit. Space should be dangerous but not so immediately that it kills immersion and paying players enjoyment just so a few leeches get something to suck on, in the form of someone else's hard work.
    Make space piracy interesting for both ends of the spectrum. I would much rather they leap out from a lootable junk pile belt or asteroid field or captured derelict.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.