User reputation display

Discussion in 'About EU Chronicle' started by Phunkygeeza, Feb 18, 2008.

Tags:

How should the reputation display be changed?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2008.
  1. Make all the bars and stars worth more points, so less are displayed

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Make the stars 'wrap' around to try to make more space

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Have a 'super' star somehow to represent uber rep

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. Make the stars smaller so more will fit in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hi all members!

Some of our superstar members (you know who you are LOL) have amassed SOOO much reputation that there is no longer enough room for their gold stars in the reputation display!

So I must find a solution to allow their rep to be displayed as with everyone else's.
    There are a number of ways I can try to do this, so I thought I would raise this poll to see what you all think.

In none of these cases would member's actual reputation score be affected, only the way in which the reputation display (bars and stars) represents it.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Burgerman

Burgerman Cleaner

I reckon BlabberBot is the cause of this problem, because of all those red stars she has accumulated. :hehe:

I could only choose one option, so I clicked on making the stars worth more each, so that less stars display, but I also like the idea of a single star or symbol which just indicates you have reached a high reputation level, perhaps with the actual rep level shown as a number, or displayed if you hold the mouse over the person's rep star. The way I see it, the reputation indicator is useful as a guide, especially for new members of the forum, to help them determine if news, comments or technical details posted here by a member are valid and to be believed, or are possibly misinformation that requires further proof or explanation.

Fortunately here at the Chronicle forum, I think there are very few -reps given (except to TalkerBot, but she is a -rep target for sure). Unfortunately this also means that rep levels can only continue to rise, and with rep being awarded with each Gratz received the rep of the highest posters seems to have increased dramatically.

Perhaps a way to adjust the rep gain rate and method is to have the Gratz button only appear on the first post in a thread, especially in sections for globals/hofs/skill achievements etc. This way the person posting an achievement or good idea can be Gratz'ed, and if you want to praise other people who post in the thread, you can click on the Add Reputation button to add rep. Perhaps this might slowly steer the reputation levels away from how much a person posts, and instead their reputation would be increased by posting their achievements (Gratz button) or by posting interesting/funny/useful comments (Add Reputation button).

I can just imagine the protests now - Reputation nerfed in forum posts. :hehe:

• Like Like x 6
  3. Bunny

Bunny Vampire Bunny Inc.

I had to go with the first option. As much as I hate to give up allllll my stars LOL.

How about one big star with a number after it. This would show how many stars you have and not clog up the page. Not sure if this is possible.

Whatever you decide is best Phunksta. I am agreeable.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Ok I can see the favourite is to have some sort of level above gold stars to show uber rep.

This certainly looks possible, and I've requested it of the guy who wrote the gold stars hack, to see if he'll do it.

In the meantime, I'm also going to change the values of bars and stars to give the current setup some more life, so please don't be upset if your rep looks smaller - it's actually the same just represented differently!
    Apologies to anyone who was just congratulating themselves on getting a star - I hope you don't fell robbed.

So here is what I changed:

Gratz now gives REP+1 for each gratz received
    There will now be 10 dark green pips, but they remain at 50 points each
    There will remain 5 light green pips, and changed to 200 from 100 points each
    There will remain 3 gold pips, and changed to 500 points each
    That makes each gold star worth 3000

• Like Like x 10
  5. Bunny

Bunny Vampire Bunny Inc.

For some reason I feel lighter :D :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 6
  6. Burgerman

Burgerman Cleaner

Nice work Phunksta. :ok:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bunny

Bunny Vampire Bunny Inc.

Pooooor Talkerbot did not get and update. :( She might not ever speak to us again.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Kets

Kets Cranky Old EuC Reporter

WHOO-HOO!

• Like Like x 6
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Esquire

I know you will want to shoot me for telling this but I saw that Gratz still gives REP+3

PS. Please small hits with that :skillet:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Oops - well spotted Phoenix!

No need for :skillet: you can have :medalofhonor: instead :)

• Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.