Windows 7 update from Windows 7 RC

Discussion in 'Technical, security and bug reports' started by Coachman, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Coachman

Coachman RESCUER

Here is a live report on my struggles :D

http://v2.euforces.com/?page_id=91&wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=110.0

I loved the release candidate - But not everything is as easy as I thought.

So far I have one important conclusion - Do a clean install on a formatted disk !

And I have one more too - If you backup your old version - Take it to a separate directory first if you have something else than an english version.

And when you get it back. Move it to desired nationalized directory.

2. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Got an email from Microsoft that my DVD is shipped and I will get it in a few days. Can't wait to install it.

3. ALEXANDER

ALEXANDER The Renegate

I've had win 7 for about... 1 year or so if I recall correct. It's a blast ;)
    At the moment I am encountering no bugs what so ever

4. Coachman

Coachman RESCUER

Well I have used the RC for a long time as well and can also say its a blast. But going from RC and the real version was not a blast :D

I will guess that some problems will come from going from English version to national version because directorys are nt named the same. But thats an easy fix to move the files to a proper locatin.

But Im sure I will get it up and running in a few minutes. And Im pretty sure it will be a "blast" again after that.

5. ALEXANDER

ALEXANDER The Renegate

some vids across the world

6. aridash

aridash large throbbing member

so the "experts" are trotting out the usual stuff about not adopting for a year to let the OS get patched. But i get the impression the RC has been very good and its really just a massive SP for Vista anyway, do those that use it think a wait is necessary?

7. NotAdmin

NotAdmin Administrator

On every production system I ever was responsible for, I'd never install new software until a service pack was released. Old habit from back in the NT4 days (where actually, I'd wait TWO service packs inbetween).

Generally speaking, if the system you are looking at upgrading works, and is crucial to your business, let the product mature a little. If it's a test or dev system, or your personal machine, upgrade if you think the new features are worth the effort :)

8. Coachman

Coachman RESCUER

In this case I actually use W7 for systems crucial to my business.
    I work as a PLC programmer and have lots of programs that I wasnt able to run under Vista. But with the introduction of W7 I "suddenly" can run them all again. Some of them like Step5 from Siemens I run in the XP emulator mode. But that is such old programme so its not even supported anymore.

But you are quite right. Normally I wouldnt do this. But I done lots of test with the release candidate.

9. Im on a course as a games developer/programmer at the moment,
    and i must say windows 7 is good.

Actually.. I will go as far to say that it is the most stable operating syetem I have ever used.

Not a single crash with an uptime of aproximatly 2 months,
    without turning the machine off.

Afaik not many windows systems can do that.

Andy.

10. RAZER

got my upgrade DVD today, will be upgrading tonight :)

11. Entropia works on Windows 7, or? :D

12. RAZER

Yep works great. EU shows you a big red cross and telling you 7 is not supported, but it works great (better then Vista for sure)

13. Good to know :D thanks :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.