Would Like To Add Location Coordinates To Creatures Charts

Discussion in 'General Entropia Universe Discussion' started by Starburst, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Entropia Planets is maintaining a chart of creatures found on different planets and attempting to update that with stats about the creatures. I think that's great, but I think something is missing. I would like to see three columns added. One for Longitude, one for Latitude, and one for Density. Is that something that could be done and then the community work on updating it. Currently the feature required to update this data on Entropedia is not functioning properly. I have posted a bug report there, but don't know how long it will take to hear back. As a matter of fact I have never been able to get Entropedia to work right. It just won't allow me to post new data. It never hurts to have a website that backs up the data on Entropedia as often times it is down, and when it is players are left in the lurch.

Since that was the case, I began adding some data to the wiki here on Entropia Planets. I admit, the data isn't complete, and could stand to be better. For example I don't give a complete break down of the conversation on missions that I've been posting because I forget and don't usually post the mission until after the fact, but if someone else wants to update the missions I've entered with that data great! I'm not convinced the exact conversation is the point anyway just the details like what the goal is and where the mission broker is and where the mobs are. It would not be possible to simply copy over the coordinates that Entropedia currently has to Entropia Planets and expect them to be right since the new VUs. It all has to be manually redone, and at times Mind Ark moves the mobs or increases the levels, changes the HP, or increases the frequency of spawns, and even adds missions.

However, one thing I use, or have been using Entropedia for is to find creatures or mobs for missions when I need to find them and don't know where to look. Rocktropia has since some VU completely redone their coordinates system. The Vampire Chicks for example have been moved and the old coordinates will take you off the map completely. There are supposed to also be just regular Vampires, and i have no idea where they are. They used to be at Evil Cathedral but after looking there and only finding Zombies they must have been either done away with or moved. This makes the Entropedia data completely useless. Another mission called The Bar Fly also takes you to coordinates that are in La La Land and the mission marker on the radar still takes you in the old direction (off the map), so it hasn't been updated yet.

One other thing that would be extremely helpful is information similar to what can be found on http://www.mininglog.com. That would be much more complicated and time consuming though. There are some items that we mine for that are not mentioned on LBML to my knowledge such as the various cocktail enmatters on Rocktropia, a map of Hell, etc... What do you guys think?

2. RAZER

RAZER Custom title ... uh ...

Don't think we have the map there for all creature on all planets, but the below link is what we think the creature page should look like (for now).
    http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/Creature:Nusul

It has a map displaying the locations of the creatures and a list below that doing the same.

Is that something you can work with ?

And the LBML stuff, well that can be done in the same way as the creatures I suppose (adding locations of the mining stuff on a map), but as you said a bit more work.

But feel free to put down suggestions we like to know what you guys think, just can't promises to be able to get everything in. We are with just a few people right now, but everybody can edit the wiki if they like, so suggestions and ideas are welcome as well as manpower to make it happen.

Oh and Starburst, thank you for adding mission data to the wiki !!

3. That's quite in depth and actually a bit more complex than I was talking about, but it looks really good. How are you adding the map to that? I see the Add Spawn link, and that looks simple enough. But the images you are adding to the screen do not look simple to do. All I'm talking about doing is a simple list of coordinates where a mob type can be found and perhaps the maturity of the mobs. Sure a pic would be nice, but I don't plan on becoming a web developer and learning how to take screen shots and make them fit into a GIF image that is exactly 180px in size. Or knowing how to make the spawn show up in the right place on a map. This is a community driven project, and I doubt players want to spend the time it took to develop this page.

Is it possible to simplify this, so that we get the necessary information such as tying this to mission pages and such, without going overboard and trying to make a beautiful page. Sure the page would be nice, but is it necessary?

4. Something that is missing from the page is what is dropped from the creature and the frequency with which a particular item is dropped, and information about what blueprints are tied to that item. I'm sure all that info is scattered around, but it all needs to be linked together. It's things like that that make Entropedia such a valuable resource. An example would be when a blueprint is run what blueprints have been reported to drop as a result. You know, stuff like that.

5. The vital resource here is the data, not the way the data is presented. It needs to be simple enough that any user can populate the chart, but extensive enough that as much information as can be gathered about a particular mob or resource, blueprint, whatever can be placed on the chart.

6. RAZER

That's the beauty of it, you just use the Add Spawn button to ad a spawn and it shows up both on the map and in the table below the map.

What we want is some nice looking page AND easy to add data, which we have with the Nusul map I linked too before. Same for attack types and maturities, all easy to add and edit and also look nice.

It seems some people like the RAW data and some like it to have a nice look to is as well, something we try to do both. The way the wiki is setup is so you can generate any sort of table and graph from the data in the database (map and table of creature spawns is an example of that), so you/we might be able to get the data the way you like.

Well loot is something we are not sure about as info about it is outdated as soon as you add it. But there is a beta on the Nusul page already, just scroll down a bit and click the Add/edit loot button. Let us know what you think about that.

7. RAZER

And the animated gif of the Nusul was just a test I did for a few creatures, but any image could be placed there and it scales to 180px automatically. If you hover your mouse over the little triangle on the top right of the screen you can choose 'edit with form' and there you can choose a image you would like to be the main image of the creature (and where you can add / edit info about the creature).

The edit with form button is a bit hidden after the last wiki update, might need to figure out how to get that a bit more visible.

8. That's pretty cool! You've really put a lot of thought into this. I'm very impressed. I will definitely add what I can as I get data. You're right about the loot. Certain things seem to drop regularly and certain things seem to almost never drop but still do once in awhile. Let me know about the mining thing. What LBML does is a coordinate system where they lay the land out in blocks and tell you what is likely to be found in that general area. They are not extremely specific with the maps, but they are extremely helpful if they include the loot you are looking for. With the Enmatter on Rocktropia it appears they left that off. I wish they hadn't. But they chose not to include it for some reason. We don't need a repeat of LBML. But a map of stuff LBML doesn't include in their maps would be extremely helpful.

9. RAZER

Yes a bit of thought has gone into it, but this is also because we use standard wiki + the Semantic Mediawiki plugin, so no custom stuff like entropedia does, this makes the EP wiki very flexible for all users.

About mining loot, a map like below with a number in each section and a list of stuff that can be mined there?

Arkadia Mining Map.jpg

10. That would be perfect. I don't think it's necessary to go to all the work of adding percentages, but maybe a number of hits for example. One that could be added to by players when they find an ore or enmatter, for example date, item, number of hits and have it tabulated. What do you think? A number of hits may not give a percentage of the amount of a certain item found in an area but would give an idea of the frequency with which it is found. Your map would be perfect. Is it possible to produce these maps for all areas of Entropia? Or is that too difficult? I don't know.

11. RAZER

I think we have the basics already in place with the creature maps IF we want to add stuff to the map.
    But if we want a list of ore and enmatter and just a number on the map that should be pretty easy to do.

Would need a form that lets you fill in the planet you have found the ore, the type of ore and the area (1 - 36 in the case of Arkadia). Unless we want to automate the area calculation by the coordinates used, which would be a bit more difficult.

Number of hits would not make to much sense either I think, as you would not know how many probes were dropped and wil not know if it was rich or poor in that ore/enmatter from just the amount of drops.

Could even do something personalized like this hunting tracker I did a while ago:
    http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/User:RAZER/HuntingLog

So you can see where your claims were AND we can use the data from multiple users to generate an overall view of the ore/enmatter on a planet.

Pretty easy without the map, a bit more 'challenging' with that map :)

12. I attempted to copy the code you used for the hunting tracker. I only wanted an empty table to enter data in, but I'm not sure why it is pulling data only from your User Profile page. There is no reference to your user in the chart anywhere that would reference your profile. It should just generate a blank table, but it doesn't. I'm sure you know the reason, but I don't. I was trying to figure out how to make my own charts to add to the wiki under my profile. Not under anyone else's. I ended up deleting the page because I couldn't figure it out. I'm sure there is a simple answer. I just don't know what it is. I would like to generate both a hunting tracker page like you had, and a mining tracker page similar to what we have discussed. Perhaps you have to be a moderator to do that. Perhaps in order to do this it would have to be added to everyone's profile I don't know. I doubt that everyone wants to do this. But it may be helpful to some for those willing to do it.

Also, I need instructions on how to tabulate the damage percentages required for the mob chart. For example, cut, stap, burn, etc... I imagine it's already been posted, so if you could give me the link that would be great. There are instructions to calculate decay on Entropedia. Since that information is public domain it might be good to make a copy of it and put it over here too. I created a partial profile for the Vampire Chicks on Rocktropia, but there is still more data to add, and one thing you ask us to do is difficult. You ask us to know what level of mob produces what drop. In general I don't track that. I just empty my carried storage, and then I tabulate up however much in PED I collected during the hunt. I can tabulate the amount in PED and the time I spent hunting as Twitch tells me the time I spent online at any given transmission. I usually hunt one creature at a time, so that works if I want to know how much I am losing on a creature.

It might be helpful if a person sells some of their loot for markup if they are able to enter the percentage markup or +TT value in the chart under a total to track how much things are selling for at any given time. The other day I tried to calculate how much to pay someone for some items using Entropedia's auction data, but it is so outdated that most of my prices were way to high, and a few were way to low. The data is completely inaccurate. For example Vixen gears are going for 1300% right now, but because people are flooding the market I don't expect that to last to long.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.